Author Topic: sweetcorn reccomendation  (Read 4842 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: sweetcorn reccomendation
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 21:21:10 »
I BBQ them still wrapped in their leaves. They come out lovely and moist.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 21:31:13 »
I was so proud of myself growing 9 plants of sweetcorn and plucked a cob yesterday and ate it today (boiling method) with butter.

Have to say it was not up to my expectations, far too sweet for me, although I did eat all of it, I preferred the purchased stuff  :o where did I go wrong ???

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2005, 21:57:01 »
Had a chew of a stalk as well - even that tasted quite nice. Felt a bit like a panda.

Crikey,  you mad person.  That must take some eating!!!!!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2005, 22:36:11 »
I was so proud of myself growing 9 plants of sweetcorn and plucked a cob yesterday and ate it today (boiling method) with butter.

Have to say it was not up to my expectations, far too sweet for me, although I did eat all of it, I preferred the purchased stuff  :o where did I go wrong ???

<grin> that's the whole point - you get sweet corn not starch corn if you grow it yourself. And they are very sweet indeed these days!

If you like them less so, and you grew a normal not sugar-enhanced variety, then leave the cob in the fridge for a few days and it will go more starchy.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 22:42:19 »
I can join this thread now having just harvested my first ever sweetcorn cob
 :)  Is there any form of initiation ceremony?  If not, there should be  ;D  I'll do it myself then....Pretend fan fare  ;D   I HAVE SWEETCORN   ;D

I grew a much sniggered at by lotty peeps variety called Early King from Wilko.  it got killed off by frost so I had to start again. Slim cobs which wasn;t encouraging but nothing to go with the lamb for tea so had to harvest slightly plump cobs.

Absolutely gorgeous  ;D  I was making lots of noise eating this as it was so fab  ;D  As no veg for tea to go with lamb steak and OH refusing to buy veg, sent me forth to lotty to find food.  Came back with beef toms, sweetcorn, red onion, lovely little squash, flat leaf Italian giant parsley, green peppers, carrots. A veritable feast.  How much would that little lot have cost me from the shops  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 23:50:55 »
Thank you Moonbells ;) I will try leaving one for a few days in the fridge for a few days and report back on my findings, although I did read that some varieties should be eaten same day for best results. ::)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 00:02:24 »
Don't fret, Roy, your poor wee taste buds have just been used to the blandness of the shop varieties - think they are harvested way before ripe and then probably irradiated to prolong shelf life but am sure you will soon adjust to "the real thing" - and of course some varieties are sweeter than others - supersweet.  We can't get enough of them

Isn't it great, Wardy, being able to produce all that fresh veg - we have many weird and wonderful combinations - jsut because we can!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005, 09:47:32 »
Wicker  I love it when I've got to do a concoction using what's available.  The results are always dead tasy!  I noticed last evening when I was harvesting my lovelies a lovely little round headed cabbage so I think that's tonight's tea with my own onions and some meaty sausages I've got.  Not had breakfast yet and already thinking about tea  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal