Author Topic: Winter project... an update!  (Read 1514 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Winter project... an update!
« on: September 19, 2005, 18:49:11 »
And cleared spud bed, well, all except half a row of Pink Fur Apples and a few carrots and mooli.

An update.....I cleared it today!  Bl**dy hard work, started at 9.30am, and inbetween emptying half my compost heap, picking a couple of bags of apples, digging a few leeks, parsnips and carrots, I had it dug and weeded by 2.30pm.  Just left me enough time to fill a carrier with sloes to get the Christmas gin underway!

No, what am I going to do over winter on the plot??  This will be the first year since having it that I haven't had an area to clear over the winter months!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 21:53:33 by EJ - Emma Jane »

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
Re: Winter project...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 09:07:11 »
Looks like you'll be busy over the winter! What's going in the cleared spud bed?
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 16:08:05 »
hunions and garlics.   ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 10:47:26 »
My main winter project is going to be digging out a large mass of mixed raspberry and nettle which I've been putting off for years, disposing of the nettles, and imposing order on the raspberries in the hope of getting a reasonable crop. If they don't oblige, they'll be got rid of too. I've got to dig over most of the plot and mulch it, but I've managed to make a start on that already, though I'm still not fit, and as long as I don't break any bones this winter I can just take it steadily. The strawberries have got to go, as they're no good, so I'll be buying a few more in and starting a new bed somewhere.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 12:19:45 »
Hope you compost your nettles  :)  I'm going to get some new strawberries and I was thinking of planting them in a builder's rubble sack as a raised bed (to save my back)

I've used them this summer for growing courgettes on manure. So thought once they've gone I can top up the bag with fresh stuff, compost etc and start with strawbs  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 21:53:50 »
Don't worry, I compost everything. I remember my father always burning whatever weeds he dug out,. but you can't go on indefinitely tsking goodness from the soil and never put anything back.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal