Author Topic: help!! Too many tomatoes!!  (Read 2370 times)

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
help!! Too many tomatoes!!
« on: September 14, 2005, 13:25:45 »
Hello everyone,
I would like to ask for your suggestions on what to do with all the tomatoes I am cropping at the moment.
Last year I bottled some but they went off after about 5 weeks (only one bottle was left by then though!)  Maybe I didn't do it the right way?
I have 6 punnets lined up in the kitchen already and today came home with 2 carrier bags full!!  There are still loads to come yet and I am starting to panic.  I can't even give them to my friends because I gave them all plants this year and they are all cropping well too!!
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

madmum

• Half Acre
Re: help!! Too many tomatoes!!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 14:47:48 »
Hi and welcome to A4A.
There is another place to check on this site called recipes. If you look in there there's a recipe for doing sun dried tomato type preserving.
Have a look at that, or post again in there and you may have some luck.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 15:07:06 »
Yep there will be loads in Recipes about bottling your tomatoes.  EJ has a good idea which is to make them into sauce with onion, garlic, mushroom, courgette for example (chunky sounds nice) and then you can freeze it and use it as a base for your ratatouille or spag bol etc  :)

EJ has put on there also about making passata I think  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 18:32:03 »
Hi
I've made loads of tomato chutney and tomato chilli jam.
Have fun.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 20:40:03 »
Best having lots than not enough!!  cant you take some in work or try selling some to local shops or pubs??

what variaty have you grown?

machman5

• Half Acre
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 12:45:42 »
Thanks for all the replies, will certainly try 'sun-dried' in the oven and passata as I use both in my cooking all the time.  In reply to Adam04, I have Moneymakers, Vintage Wine and beefsteak (Beefeater I think!?).

What a great site this is, I can pester you lot now and not have to keep asking the men on my site - most of whom give me the 'you don't want to do it like that!!' lectures!!   No they're all diamonds really!!
I smile because I have no idea whats going on!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal