Author Topic: Best Gigs  (Read 8442 times)

daveandtara

• Acre
Re: Best Gigs
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2005, 00:33:59 »
i used to work at wembley, so saw loads, some good some awful (simply red and cher stand out as being the worst).
this year worked at glastonbury, again, some good some not.
but of all the gigs i've ever been to, three i will always remember as fantastic.
the who (quadraphenia) at wembley arena.
madness at findsbury park.
the rocka-hillybillies at woolwich poly,  aaah, happy days!
Tara xxx

Yellow Petals

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2005, 00:41:50 »
I've been to some god awful gigs over the past few years.  Mine and my husband's musical tastes couldn't be any more different!  He likes Kylie, Britney, Steps, Atomic Kitten etc etc and I love Queen, Bryan Adams, Genesis, Eagles, Meatloaf, Pink Floyd, John Waite etc.  I've had to see Britney twice (and she is even worse live than she is in the studio - she mimed her entire concert at Wembley last year) Kylie five times (although I'm not a fan, she puts on a great theatrical type show) Atomic Kitten three times and Steps (sob)
all in the name of love!  Saw Bon Jovi at Hyde Park last year - fantastic gig - over three hours, but the venue was too big for my liking.  I've seen Bryan Adams three times and he's fabulous.  Texas are also fabulous live (going again this October) Went to see Phil Collins at Wembley last year too - shame it wasn't Genesis but I guess he'll do, hehehe.  I've seen Peter Gabriel three times and he also puts on an incredibly theatrical show (I guess anybody who was lucky enough to see him fronting Genesis knows this!)

A gig wish list:  John Waite, The Eagles, Pink Floyd and Genesis

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2005, 01:42:57 »
Best gig I never went to - Live 8.

I was working in the garden all day to the strains of Robbie, Madge, etc drifting over from Hyde Park - could hear 'em all as clear as a bell. I'll never forget later that evening  listening to the band I never thought I'd hear live - the Floyd - standing among the sweetcorn in the dark, waving my arms in the air, much to the surprise of passers by and the delight of the neighbours (who know me well).

And best of all, no crowds, no travelling, and plenty of gardening done!

;D ;D ;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2005, 09:08:34 »
Madmum, it's a shame "The King" isn't still performing, well not as far as I can see.  He's a really good Elvis impersonator who does a few Elvis covers but mostly does covers of songs by dead people in an Elvis style.  If you can halfway imagine Nirvana's "Come As You Are" done by Elvis you'll get the fun of it all. 

As for best gigs, well I've see Fun Lovin' Criminals 6 times and they've never let me down, but last year I saw Morrissey at Old Trafford and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in Camden and I can't decide between the two for best gig...so those two.

Oh...and I saw Air a few years back...and Mercury Rev...and Divine Comedy at Reading...too many to chose from.

M.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2005, 10:03:40 »
Best gig I never went to - Live 8.

I was working in the garden all day to the strains of Robbie, Madge, etc drifting over from Hyde Park - could hear 'em all as clear as a bell. I'll never forget later that evening  listening to the band I never thought I'd hear live - the Floyd - standing among the sweetcorn in the dark, waving my arms in the air, much to the surprise of passers by and the delight of the neighbours (who know me well).

And best of all, no crowds, no travelling, and plenty of gardening done!

;D ;D ;D

Aaah, superb!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2005, 10:19:26 »
Very jealous Amazin, I just had to wave me arms around in my front room in front of the telly! ;D  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2005, 14:21:44 »
We were on holiday a few years ago in London and went to Harrods (as you do). We also had a walk around the Knightsbridge/Chelsea area and had a look into some of the big enclosed private  street gardens around there, when all of a sudden we heard singing -  a big booming voice. We thought at the time it was a radio  or someones hifi or even someone singing in a restaurant.  I remember saying "he's got quite a good voice".  We had to laugh at that later when we discovered that it had been Pavorroti who was singing at a big concert in one of the parks.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2005, 14:44:15 »
Eric Clapton and Phil Collins at the NEC Birmingham.........drool.  Was amazing. Had a clapt out VW Polo at the time.  Was so deaf I didn't hear a squeak,clunk or groan for weeks.  ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2005, 14:47:04 »
I love Razorlight, does that make me very young!????

I listen  to their album loads at the minute, missed them in tour though, but saw them at Glastonbury (on the TV) they looked brilliant.

Are you really 15??!!! I thought that was just a joke to be honest you lied about your age!

i would say yes that makes you young, VERY if you had said that about six months ago when they wernt even heard of. thye ahve only had two songs but have really hit it big, there meant to be the biggest up andcoming band, still laugh that Jonny got stuck on the speaker when he decided to climb up it at the apollo, bet he didnt do that again!

And yes im 15! DOb: 15/11/89!

Sorry to sound fawny but I am a bit awestruck - your name stuck in my brain because you gave me some excellent advice when I first took on the plot over on the beeb - have to admit I thought you were telling porkies as well.

Nope, im 15! 16 soon :P:P:P:P

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2005, 16:28:52 »
A couple of my faves have been Ash at Reading in ummm.... 2001 I think. I went on me lonesome, and threw myself in to the mosh with all of my energy, cos I had no-one to get seperated from.

Saw the White Stripes a few years ago at Shepherd's Bush, just as they were getting quite big. Amazing how a guitar and drums could sound so massive!

Also enjoyed Jet at the Zodiac in Oxford a little while ago, and quite a few years ago saw a couple of great Aussie bands when I still lived in Hobart - The Living End and Area 7

Have seen the Foo Fighters at various festivals over the years too, and they are great.

Agree with DP, would love to see the Kaiser Chiefs!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2005, 21:21:24 »
is hard to believe there are only 2 members to the White Stripes isn't it. The sound they produce is huge and they have a great stage presence, better than a lot of 5 peice + bands!

would also love to see the Kaiser Chiefs live, they are great too  :)

Oh, and Adam04 - I do believe you now! Just amazed because you have so much knowledge - when you make it on to Gardeners World or win your first gold at Chelsea remember us at A4A  (and I do not mean to be patronising, you obviously have a lot of drive and passion about gardening to do it the level you do at the age of 15)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2005, 22:24:36 »
was an accident how it started, but yes love it now! my two (well three) biggest likes in the world: Gardening, Music and Oasis!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2005, 22:43:26 »
I like the way music & Oasis are separate Adam. ::) I know you like smilies - my first use!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2005, 22:57:46 »
Oasis are in their own class!  ;D

Yellow Petals

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2005, 00:36:35 »
Oasis are in their own class!  ;D

That's one way of putting it ... ...  ::)  ;D

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2005, 13:24:14 »
Hi All,

Lots of live gigs in the 80s, no particular reason, just love live music. Now only small local bands as I don't see the point of huge venues.

However, 2 festivals are in my top 10 - Blackbush with Bob Dylan and Joan Armatrading and Led Zeppelin at Knebworth (along with Chas and Dave  :o)

All Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett etc - goes without saying

Roy Wood - Wizzard - 0nly because it was our Christmas party at Poly and he played THE song live - more fun than that would result in death by overload.

Rush - just brilliant, 2112 live - unbelievable

The Who - nuff said

Motorhead - Bomber- what a show

The Chillun - my mates band, enjoyed every gig, even when there were less than 2 of us in the audience!

The Tubes - who remembers them? Pure lunacy.

Roy Harper - in a village hall with a large bottle of scotch under his seat.

RosieM

Yellow Petals

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2005, 13:46:24 »

Jealous jealous jealous jealous

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2005, 13:51:43 »

Jealous jealous jealous jealous

Old old old old  ;D there have to be compensations!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2005, 14:28:47 »
The Police at Gatehead Stadium 1982

U2 Newcastle City Hall 1983 (twice) and, not really a gig but U2 on The Tube 1983 where I jumped up onto the stage and had a dance with Bono.

Sting 2004 Newcastle Arena,first gig I'd been to in eons and it was fab.

Neil Diamond 2005.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2005, 16:01:22 »
1. Queen - Newcastle City Hall. Blew your socks off.

2. John Denver - small venue in Newcastle, just him with a couple of backing guitarists. Superb voice. Wonderful, calm, uplifting evening.

3. Bucks' Fizz - Really (and surprisingly) rocked. Terrific.

4. Cliff Richard - NEC and Wembley. The man can sing.

The common thread? None of them had the slightest problem with singing and performing 'live'.

Five magical evenings.

Missed opportunities... ?  Tina Turner, K D Lang, Garth Brooks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal