Author Topic: Garden Centres Grrrrrr  (Read 8254 times)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
Garden Centres Grrrrrr
« on: September 01, 2005, 15:53:26 »
Just been to my local one for Poached Egg plant seeds, a quick longing look at lovely tools I cannot afford etc etc.

It seems I can buy paddling pools, patio sets (?) barbeques, chimeneeey something, candles, arty pots, watercolours, a cream tea, footballs, fleeces, and countless other stuff that has a vague link to gardening.

In fact....there is very little there for a "real" gardener to buy!!

Is it just me? >:(

suzylou

• Half Acre
Re: Garden Centres Grrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 16:08:20 »
Not just you.  I can't tell you how bored I am with candles, dangly sparkly things, posh benches and £200 arbours, when all I actually want is a vegetable plant!

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 16:17:59 »
You just wait. Give it a week or two and you won't be able to move for Christmas tat in most garden centres. I've no idea what makes them think they should be the nation's purveyors of singing santas and crappy decorations for three months of the year. 'Tis not gardening.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 16:31:51 »
 ;D
Thanks Speedy......had forgotten the festive seasonal orgy of tasteless singing santas....aaaarrrrrrrggggggghhh :'(

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 18:48:19 »
The last garden centre I set foot in had more dancing santas than seeds for sale. Never, ever use them now.
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 19:33:13 »
Glad I am not alone on this one! Just appealed to the people of Bedfordshire to tell me where I am going wrong on the locations thread!

I keep on going back to the same garden centre despite being quite disillusioned with what they sell, need ot get out of the comfort zone and explore some of the nurseries near us. I have never seen any vegetable plants in my nearest garden centre other than tomatoes, but they have the largest collection of pottery figures I have ever seen!  ::)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 22:57:30 »
...and not forgetting the pictures, dried plants, fish centre, sweets, houseplants, benches, restuarant, pools, books, greeting cards, pet homes......

Always use the local nurseries now!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 23:17:37 »
I phoned a garden centre to check if they had any winter brassicas and they said they did not do veg after May/June as they needed space for Christmas stuff  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 23:26:59 »
Wardy, at least yours knew what brassicas were....mine looked at me as if I was an alien when I enquired about Japanese Onion sets!!!!
 >:(

petemason

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 03:19:13 »
SCENTED CANDLES!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Oldham born, Oldham bred.
Strong inth'arm and thick inth'ead

http://mysticveg.blogspot.com/

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 07:58:07 »
lmao Pete.  I forgot about those.....
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 09:05:34 »
One good thing about our local garden centre is the total lack of training of any of the staff on the tills! I used to correct them when they made mistakes, but then thought - hang on - not my fault if they have had no training.

Last weekend I bought a spade and fork, meant to be £11.90 EACH in the sale - she put them through 2 for £11.90. - bargain.

Also - some daff bulbs, there was a deal - two plant pots full for a £5. They are meant to empty the plant pots into a carrier bag, but she gave me the pots too, they were meant to be £3.99 each - so £13 worth of stuff for £5. Never occurred to her that that was wrong.

Happens pretty much every time we go there. Got a couple of 3m high obelisks for £1.20 once!

gayle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 09:24:37 »
dasymay, what garden centre is it, i need to go and get some bargins too? ;)

RosieM

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 09:31:20 »
Myself and Mr M went to a garden centre the other day, first time in ages - useless for plants as you all observe - trying to find some autumn veg - hopeless.

However, we did notice as we went towards the tills that whilst the smell of our local nursery is a kind of peaty, papery, oily, slightly animal organic smell, the unmistakable odour of the garden centre is....scented candles and pot pourri!!

We actually commented that the sight of perfect pot plants and trays of pansies and 'homemade' biscuits is irrevocably linked with the candles- bizarre.

RosieM

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 10:01:34 »
We are lucky enough to have a good old fashioned seed merchant here and although he has opened up the upstairs of the shop to ornaments and junk the downstairs is still full of seeds some of which you can still buy by the pint measure. Also he stocks really good tools and any remedy you need for plant diseases. Some times he also has bunches of brassicas, leeks, wallflowers, etc.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2005, 10:10:23 »
I remember being looked at strangely when I asked if they had any vermiculite. "what's that?" they asked. To be honest I had trouble explaining! WHen I asked for garden lime, they sent me in the direction of paints! I never buy plants from the big companies anymore. Local nurseries are much better. But as for veg plants - even my favourite nursery didn't have any this year.
gone to pot :D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2005, 10:21:19 »
dasymay, what garden centre is it, i need to go and get some bargins too? ;)

Frosts in Willington. Not too far from you maybe?? The Saturday staff are particularly useless so is the best time for bargains.

where abouts in Bedfordshire are you? where do you get your plants etc.. from?

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2005, 11:46:24 »
Not garden centres, but at the Southport flower show, I just wanted to buy a plant. Saw some mini roses in pots and was in the process of picking one when I noticed greenfly. I commented to the person working the stall, and he said that they all have greenfly.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2005, 12:23:34 »
Hee hee  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

gayle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2005, 14:40:45 »
[
where abouts in Bedfordshire are you? where do you get your plants etc.. from?

Im in ampthill [mid beds]
most of my stuff i get on the internet.
the garden centers are the same where i am, and over priced. :o

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal