Author Topic: Penstemon  (Read 3104 times)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Penstemon
« on: August 30, 2005, 13:11:23 »
I'm growing Penstemons for the first time this year. No idea what species or cultivars, they were just labeled as Penstemon mixed.

Anyway, I know that they don't like too much moisture around their feet during the winter so I was wondering if working in sharp sand around each plant, a couple of times before winter sets in, would help on my clay soil? I did add some sharp sand to the planting hole before planting. And would a deep mulch help protect the roots over winter?

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Penstemon
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 17:06:09 »
I'm not sure how critical that is Twospot for I have always just plonked them in the ground and they have romped away so wwas under the impression that so long as they had some sun they weren't fussy. 

I'm sure it can't hurt an no doubt someone more knowledgeable will give a definitive answer!

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

montanum

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 17:56:58 »
Mulching your penstemons is a good idea but it is also important to only cut the tops off your plants for winter leaving about two feet standing. Only cut back to your emerging spring growth (6"to 9") when the threat of frosts has gone. Good luck
                                   Montanum
From The Mountains

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 01:14:59 »
I too have just 'bunged in' penstemons with no problems but I always take a few cuttings just in case. I have heavy clay soil.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 08:18:53 »
Thanks everyone for your replies  :)

Montanum, I will definately mulch them before winter sets in and will take cuttings too.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 11:12:11 »
My penstemons cope well with my heavy clay. In fact they usually keep flowering until around January! My oldest ones were bunged in a hole with no grit, no sand and not even any compost!

I leave all the tops on (just dead head) and then cut them back around March and mulch at that time. I'd be worried about mulching them this side of winter in case it encourages lots of soft, sappy, more tender growth.
gone to pot :D

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 11:28:30 »
Thanks Aqui, I could try a mulch round some and nothing round others as I live in the cold damp north. I will be taking cuttings too. I suppose it depends on what kind of mulch is used but just a mulch of home made compost has worked well on my Verbena Bonariensis.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 22:52:00 »
Rather than cuttings I like to bend a few branches down and bury them - invariably they root by next spring and this has worked in every house I've owned - Essex clay, Hampshire loam, and W.sussex mixture!

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 10:54:12 »
Thanks Iain, might try that too.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 12:51:00 »
Dont cut the tops off, peg them in the ground for more plants next year.

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 21:11:26 »
I've always taken cuttings before, never thought about pegging them into the ground, I'll try that. I always put mulch round the plants about end of October and usually have a wonderful display every year.

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 21:30:52 »
Thanks Yorkshire Lass, I'm in the Central Lowlands of Scotland so I think I might need to do my mulch about mid October. What do you mulch them with?

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2005, 10:06:00 »
Hi - Usually leaf mulch rotted down from the year before plus a few bark chippings for good measure  :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2005, 11:13:48 »
This lovely deep purpley penstemon was pictured last summer.  It didn't survive the winter (neither did the yellow poppy).  I thought they were quite hardy as the ones in my garden have all come through. 

So, I think the important thing is to give them a covering of compost etc for the winter or you might lose them too  :'(

I came, I saw, I composted

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 21:48:15 »
Thanks YL. Was hoping you would say home made compost but suppose it should be just as good as a leaf mulch.

Hi Wardy, what part of the country are you in?

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 23:11:19 »
North Derbyshire  :)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 23:15:30 »
If you lost yours that far down the country, maybe I should knit all mine woolly jumpers  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 09:38:41 »
 ;D   the plant is in a large barrel filled with John Innes etc and I thought it would be fine.  There is also a large wall in front of it which I thought would deflect most icy blasts.  We are at the top of a large hill with no buildings etc to stop the wind and we do tend to get vortex like winds on the back yard.  Part of my garden is in a frost pocket too so I've had to move certain plants like camelia etc from that part of the garden.

Never straightforward is it this gardening lark  :)

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 21:00:44 »
Now I understand why you lost them. I'm on a hill but not that far up. My Penstemon are in my front garden which is sheltered from all sides but not a frost pocket. Bottom end of my back garden is very exposed but when it's blowing a gale down there it's just a tad windy at the front so maybe my Penstemon will be fine.

Sorry I waffling now  :-\

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal