Author Topic: Composting courgette plants - can you?  (Read 4343 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Composting courgette plants - can you?
« on: August 30, 2005, 09:42:25 »
Being big, course and very spiky I was wondering if courgette plants were compostable.    Not that I'm killing them off for a while but crossed my mind as they are so big!

Also, they have that white mould stuff on them so should they be burnt or binned anyway?

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Composting courgette plants - can you?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 09:52:10 »
I've always composted mine. Is it powdery mildew? I've composted with that before. My plants always get it, but I don't think it's caused by the compost (correct me if I'm wrong!)
gone to pot :D

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:16:33 »
Hi Iain,

The other guys on my site compost everything.  All the allotments have marrows, courgettes and pumpkins growing on them, and all of the plant is composted.

The leaves with powdery mildew won't hurt in the compost heap.

Cheers

Ruth

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 17:09:30 »
Thanks for that.  Having just come back from the lottie I have now planned some judicious deleafing as new leaves are sprouting again.  This is therefore timely feedback.

Cheers Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal