Author Topic: Grass Seed & Anti-Cat Powder!  (Read 2052 times)

Yellow Petals

Grass Seed & Anti-Cat Powder!
« on: August 25, 2005, 23:30:05 »
I'm not sure if I'm in the right section or not, but the section header says I can "ask anything" LOL.

Anyway, having spent the past couple of months preparing the soil to re-lay new grass seed, I've encountered a bit of a problem with the local cats.  They have decided they like it as it is and want to use it as their public toilet.  I've got some powder that my sis has given me but what I want to know is, will it be ok to sprinkle across the soil and still sprinkle the grass seed on top (or vice versa?) After all the rain we've had, the soil is just right and I really want to sprinkle the seeds but obviously I don't want to kill them off before they get started.  The cat powder doesn't say and neither does the box of seeds. 

If I had my way, I'd just invest in a double barrelled shotgun & some night goggles.

Thanks.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: Grass Seed & Anti-Cat Powder!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 23:37:24 »
As a cat lover, birdwatcher and gardner I know what you mean. I think you can get cat scarers that work via PIR sensors or motion detectors and squirt water on the unsuspecting cat. It does not hurt the cat and it waters your seeds  ;D

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 12:31:30 »
Night goggles and high powered water pistols work too  8)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 13:32:02 »
When I seeded my lawn earlier in the year I covered it with cloches and fleece to keep the dog and the cats off it.  But I do not have a very big garden and did look a little like the eden project out there for a while.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 14:37:20 »
I suspect that the problem with the powder will be that it's usefulness will deteriorate after rain. When I re-seeded a lawn a while ago I used old cassette tape strung backwards & forwards across the lawn where it sort of "shimmered" in the wind. Didn't have any problems but of course I can't guarantee it was the tape.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 15:06:47 »
I did originally buy some strawberry netting to go across the front garden to keep the cats and birds off of both the soil and the seeds but then I worried that the birds might get caught up in it!  Well, my mum (Rosebud) has given me a helpful suggestion (which made me feel like an idiot because I could have thought of it myself hehehe) so I shall try that.

Thanks all :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal