Author Topic: What have I done this time ! ! !  (Read 7849 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
What have I done this time ! ! !
« on: August 14, 2005, 13:03:07 »
My younger son, Matthew (18yrs) was watching the Helsinki Games earlier, being very much a sporty person, and was cheering Paula Radcliffe. He then said that he wanted to run a marathon, so I started to explain that it's not quite that easy . . . the training regime alone taking 12 months of dedicated effort, just to be able to cover the distance without collapse. He would not be deterred though, so to offer him encouragement, I said that I would match his efforts, and I would run with him, father and son. He was rather chuffed by this, my wife was horrified, and then I realised exactly what I had committed myself to. The last marathon I ran was nearly 20 years ago, at 50 I am now classed as a veteran (!), and I know precisely the physical and psychological effort and discomfort involved. However, I consider myself a man of honour, and regard my word as binding. The bonding with my 18yr old son will be worth it though.

So over the next few months I may being seeking inspiration from you all to keep me going, gosh this is taking me back . . .

A rather deranged Derek
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 16:47:13 by Derekthefox »

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: What have I done this time ! ! !
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 14:48:23 »
Derek I hope you have a super duper holiday to prepare you in readiness for your task in the following months. What a super idea.. such  fatherly dedication.. Go for it!!!!!!!!!! Lorna.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 18:08:55 »
Well just been for a preliminary 5m run with my son to measure my fitness. It is pretty poor, I had to stop 3 times due to oxygen debt. Finish time 45m, that is 9 minute miles ! ! ! My son bless him, held back and stayed with me all the way.

Thank you Lorna and Wardy for the support! There is no way my son will lose interest, he was looking wistful when the London Marathon was on, my only escape is if I am declared clinically insane, hmm there's a thought . . .

My favourite shoes are Hitec Silver Shadows, don't know if you can still get them, they fit my feet like gloves, even with an absurdly long second toe.

Somehow I think my holiday is now going to involve beach runs and several lengths of the pool before breakfast. Actually I wouldn't mind that, at least I could relax with a clear conscience.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 18:57:37 »
so, which marathon are you going for then?
or, maybe you could both start on a half marathon - i thought there was one up north somewhere...?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 19:12:42 »
There is a large calendar of Marathons all round the country Svea. There are at least three locally (around coventry), namely the Shakespeare around Stratford, another at Wolverhampton, and a third over in Leicestershire. It is too early to home on a particular one, need to get the training moving first.

You perhaps have been thinking of 'the Great North Run' located around Gateshead. I think that is either a half marathon or ten miles, can't remember which.

My son has already apparently run a half marathon, in 2 hours, so he wants to do the 'biggie'. Whichever marathon we choose, I have to be able to drive there and back, so the distance is obviously a factor, since I will be seriously tired for the return.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 20:36:01 »
Wow Derek I am dead impressed! What a brilliant dad! I've told myself I'd do the Great North Run one of these years but have not ever got motivated enough. Wouldn't know where to start training wise. The GNR is a half marathon... just for your info.  Anyway I think you are fab...looking forward to cheering you along with your training! ;D ;D

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 23:20:20 »
Hee Hee derek,

Had you had too much vino when you made such a rash declaration.

Debs ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 08:38:01 »
Wow!! Well done you Derek, think it's an amazing thing to do.  Agree with Debs, may have been wise to have finished rhubarb stock first.... :-\ I would join you of course, but bit busy with origami sprouts ......... ;) Don't forget, loads of paper bags ;D Lottie

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 13:26:28 »
Very model father of you  ;D  The question now is - what's your son going to do in return? ;D ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 20:20:22 »
Well ellkebe, the time will come I guess when he will need to choose a retirement home for me . . .  :D

Thanks Lottie, I understand on the origami sprouts. Will do what I can regarding the paper bags . . .

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 20:22:22 »
Update on the training front.

Started at 0700 this morning, with beach runs. That soon ended after 1/2 mile, as the sand is too coarse and it is like running through a tar pit. So we ended up running on the promenade, total 2 miles. Later we got in 400m of swimming, I have actually found something that I am better at than my son! The bay is 1/2 mile long, so I hope to swim that regularly.

Tomorrow is another day, hope that goes well too.

Cheerio from sunny Spain !

Derekthefox

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 11:15:45 »
Oooh 'eck! You're going to need a hloiday after all this......  ::)Lottie  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 11:54:15 »
Derek - glad you're enjoying yourself. Although remember you're supposed to be relaxing!

I don't think I could run 1/2 a mile, let alone 2!
gone to pot :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 20:37:30 »
I don't think I know the meaning of the word relaxation - somehow I gather that you understand what I mean . . .

I also think I my need to leave my son out of these training sessions though, he is looking exhausted! But I do relish being able to outswim him! he he he.

It is very pleasant here though, except for the crowds, thousands of thousands of manic partying animals . . .

Found a lovely peaceful coastal walk, will get pictures, it is becoming a training run tomorrow ha haha!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 15:41:43 »
OK back from my hollies now. Managed to get a run in every day, extending to about 3 1/2 miles of tough coastal cliff running. My son was not inclined towards the swimming, so that got the heave-ho  : :( He managed the distances ok, but hated getting up at 7 am to train ! ! ! I loved it  :D

I hope to re-run my 5 mile route this afternoon to re-assess my fitness level.

***UPDATE Completed the distance without any undue distress, and a respectable time for my current level of fitness as well.

So the real training can begin now . . .

Well at least this has given me a focus . . .

Derekthefox :D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 17:23:24 by Derekthefox »

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 16:02:45 »
Well done Derek. You're an absolute inspiration to us all (not to make silly promises to our kids!)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Annadl

• Half Acre
  • Anna from Downunder.
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 13:19:45 »
Well done Derek but do be careful running on uneven ground, especially beaches.  My husband and next door neighbour have both sprained their ankles running on the beach.  The neighbour was out of action after that for ages!!

Anna :)
Wish I had an allotment.  I love A4A.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 16:09:25 »
Thank you for your concern Annadl, you are of course absolutely right about the risks of running on uneven ground. My son and I both ditched the beach running after the first session, as it was far too taxing, with the sand being so coarse. The same hazards also apply to rough tracks though, so I am always vigilant (until I trip of course!).

Fortunately I am back home now and my running mainly consists of road running, which has its own problems. So I am paying a lot of attention to making sure I have footwear which is well cushioned to reduce the impact damage which is so common to long distance running. For me personally, this mainly shows as hip pain/soreness, or sciatica, and surprising neckache (watch Paula Radcliffe running to explain that one!). I don't intend to do this as a lifelong pursuit though, so as long as I can beat my son over the finish line . . .  ;D ;D ;D

I am fairly clear now, our initial target run is the Shakespeare Marathon, around Stratford upon Avon, at the beginning of May 2006. So that is a 8 month training programme, encompassing the worst of the winter. My target time? Lets talk about that later eh?

Thanks again for your concerns Annadl, I promise to be careful! ! !

Derekthefox  :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2005, 15:35:43 »
Wonderful news for me today, I went shopping in the stinking heat this afternoon, and found my favourite running shoes - Hitec Silver Shadow -  in JJB Sports at the ridiculous price of £17  ! ! !

So now I have two pairs, a tatty pair used for training, and a new pair which will be my event shoes. I would normally expect to pay £50 upward for marathon shoes but these feel perfect, so there is no need to waste money on stuff that may not feel as good in the end. I may go back and get another couple of pairs at that price . . .

Just got to motivate myself for a 5 mile run now in this torrid heat, think I will leave it until after 5pm to let the heat fade a little . . .

***UPDATE***
Completed the run, despite the heat. When almost home, a young lady looked rather disgustedly at me (which doesnt surprise me) then when I looked at my chest, there were gobs of saliva dribbled all across it ! ! !
Thank you for letting me share that with you, I think I have earned a beer and a shower!

Derekthefox :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 18:03:51 by Derekthefox »

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 18:31:29 »
Another update, perhaps Eric will enjoy this one.

When going for a run, don't do it at 3.30pm. Schools out ! Apart from the sheer numbers of kids flooding all the paths, there are always some who consider it fun to goad and run round and across my path. One such lad, about 12-13 I guess, thought he could outrun me, so I challenged him to a 400 yd sprint up the road. Well I just upped my pace a tad, and was barking at him on his shoulder like a sargeant major, but he still collapsed gasping after about 100 yds. I just finished the 400 and drifted off.  ;D

More cheerful news though is that I am completing faster times over 5 miles than my son. I think he is not taking this training seriously enough.

Derekthefox  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal