Author Topic: Your favourite runner beans??  (Read 4520 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Your favourite runner beans??
« on: August 10, 2005, 15:54:10 »
I've just been singularly unsuccessful in 'Search' - remember eons ago Hugh Jones talking about a stringless long variety, but can't find it.

I've been growing Painted Lady & S.E. for a few years, but both are prone to becoming woody if not checked & picked on a daily basis.....

Need a long, stringless variety that tolerates just a bit of neglect ::)

Suggestions, please?

Thanks, Lishka

BAGGY

• Hectare
Re: Your favourite runner beans??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 18:48:51 »
I have no idea what ours are.  I pinched a few dried beans that had been chucked on next doors compost and have grown them since.  They are prob SE but who knows .... they could be a bexley special as a lot of us on our site have the same or very similar.
Get with the beat Baggy

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 19:16:04 »
Hello stranger!-long time.

You could try either Lady Di or Polestar.

Stephan

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 19:25:55 »
LISHka!! - agree with Di - but there are a dozen others.

Not exactly Runners, but we always grow Hunter beans. Self fertile to boot!!

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 19:28:53 »

Need a long, stringless variety that tolerates just a bit of neglect ::)

Suggestions, please?

Thanks, Lishka
I've grown desiree the last few years and they fit yours requirements well. :)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 21:27:48 »
Went a bit mad this year and fell for Thompson and Morgan marketing ploy on "heritage" seeds and bought Wisley Magic runner beans. Much to my surprise they have turned out to be magic for me - lovely long beans, not stringy or course, prolific, and I've certainly not picked every day. Usually grow Painted Lady - think Wisley are far superior and will certainly grow again if I can.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 21:39:20 »
Both Desiree and Pole Star should meet your requirements

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 10:54:04 »
Many thanks all.

Shall be looking for Polestar and Desiree (poss as swaps?) next year, and am tempted also to try Wisley. Thanks for the suggestion, p/w.

I'm currently supplying my gardening ladies with fresh beans every week, hence the need for pretty well guaranteed stringless varieties and P/Ladies aren't quite fitting the bill this year.

Now, having won the frozen vs fresh bean battle, if only I could persuade them to eat courgettes... ;D

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 11:56:52 »
Hi Lishka.....nice to see you posting again....Alan Howell
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 13:00:00 »
HIYA Alan :D

And happy gardening to you, too.......

:-*

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 14:08:52 »
I used Butler last year which were pretty good - though a little pricey - am trying Polestar this year along with some Butler for comparison - so far the Polestar have been more vigorous but the Butler have been bushier - I'll let you know how I fair.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 17:23:35 »
Many thanks, Tim - shall be v. interested.

Cheers!

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 21:50:01 »
i have the same problem this year, the varieties were streamline and enorma.
i have seen a few stringless varities about but i am wondering wether to grow runners at all next year? i really love the flat podded beans like hunter and the yellow goldfield.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 22:00:35 »
Went a bit mad this year and fell for Thompson and Morgan marketing ploy on "heritage" seeds and bought Wisley Magic runner beans. Much to my surprise they have turned out to be magic for me - lovely long beans, not stringy or course, prolific, and I've certainly not picked every day. Usually grow Painted Lady - think Wisley are far superior and will certainly grow again if I can.

I too am trying Wisley Magic this year for the first time and am quite impressed.  They are living up to the sales puff and although T & M don't claim they are stringless in their catalogue, I have found they are not stringy if picked in good time.  Will try them again next year.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 22:17:35 »
as i've just posted on another link, i've had goldfield for the first time this year, apparantly climbing french bean, its flat, stringless, easy to grow (i'm a novice) and so very very tasty, even though my other half wondered when we'd bought white cabbage to have with tea, it cooks to a very pale yellow, but my god its really yummy, so smooth and sweet

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 08:20:51 »
I grew Painted Lady last year to see if they were better than the Enorma I'd grown for a few seasons and was rather disappointed - they don't grow very long and though I got lots, I also had to chuck lots as they grew fat and seedy (and therefore stringy) quite fast.

This year I've reverted to Enorma and am glad I did.  Also prepared a manure-filled bean trench properly for the first time which has seriously helped water retention and need to water. I have plants which are going mad - I brought a couple of lbs to work this morning of the 4lbs I picked Monday - this after having picked over the plants last Wednesday before going away for a long weekend.

I am trying to remember to pick them at 1cm wide so they are stupidly tender,  and they are already about 8-10" long even at this width. 

Not as pretty as Painted Lady but I still can't fault them on my very free-draining soil, and if it ain't broke...

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 09:56:49 »
I like the yellow dwarf french beans.  Delicious  :)  My niece who's 11 was scoffing raw french beans yesterday.  They are Markant and she was eating the smaller ones - she gave them her seal of approval  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 15:53:04 »
Have tried Lady Di this year and they are really tasty.
Helen

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 15:54:58 »
Tried Streamline last year and found them so stringy, I turned them into chutney!
Helen

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 20:24:22 »
Czar is worth a go: nice as pods but you can also let them form beans in the pods, dry them and they're like butter beans...
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal