Author Topic: Tomato Disaster  (Read 8041 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re: Tomato Disaster
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2005, 23:18:45 »
Nice of you to mention that Doris, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. It was Skinny Liz (who we don't see on here very much anymore sadly) who first told me about Ferlines and I'm very grateful to her for that.
I'm not going to tempt fate anymore by mentioning how my Ferlines are doing but I can tell you that most allotmenteers on our complex have lost their tomatoes. Oh hell, I'm not superstitious, they are doiing great and we are enjoying tomatoes every day since three weeks and with any luck, for many more weeks.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2005, 07:51:30 »
Seems like it will be Ferline for me next year  ;D thanks all!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2005, 10:47:29 »
[quote author=redclanger
If you water blight infected ground with camden, will it clean the ground of the virus?

The blight is a fungus, and I imagine that the chemical acts as a sort of fungicide. Wouldn't think it would work in the soil, too much to tackle and the blight is airborne anyway. Jenny
My understanding of late blight is that if you get a bad case of it and spores get into the soil, they can survive there, dormant, for up to 8 years.  If potatoes are planted, it infects the plant and then spreads to other plants by distribiuting airborn spores - when conditions are right e.g. Smith Periods.  If the soil were not involved, then rotation would not be a way of preventing infection.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

campanula

• Hectare
  • double digging dudette
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2005, 21:12:36 »
yep, ferline are winners for me - I am the only tomato grower on site as blight seems to do for everyone - they all grow toms at their homes. However, |Ferline, and several others doing OK so I don't think it is a given that once blight rears its head, all plots will be affected forevermore. I have noticed a bit of blossom end rot on my Romas though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal