Author Topic: Bird feeding  (Read 1996 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Bird feeding
« on: August 03, 2005, 18:23:12 »
Or rather not to. I feel really meanand cruel, I feed the birds everyday and obviously they've become used to it, how do I now wean them off it? We might be putting the house on the market and I don't want to suddenly stop their supply. Oh dear I wish we could take them with us. Val.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

bunnycat

• Half Acre
Re: Bird feeding
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 18:47:33 »
I would think that if you've got to do it, now is the best time. They have a good supply of thier natural food and it will be easier for them to find alternative supplies of extra food, before the colder weather arrives.

Although it sounds mean, I would have thought it would be better to just stop feeding them. That would give them more time to get used to the idea of there not being a food supply in your garden, so they start to look elsewhere straight away :-\

I suspect there will be some differing opinions on this.........

dannylewis

• Quarter Acre
    • My allotment
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 19:07:27 »
Hi there val,
   do u put ur food in the back garden or in the front of your house, because if you put it in your back garden then i would urge you put it in the front but scatter it so there isnt loads of birds when the new people move in. do u get what i am saying, wean them into the front with only little ood and they will soon come to the front and thell as the days go on lessen the amount, that should do it.

dannylewis
www.freewebs.com/lottieplot:- My website, obviously

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 20:07:46 »
Yes Val, I would say wean them off now.  They seem to be coping ok out there now that the breeding season is past.  Plenty fruit coming on the trees and bushes and plenty insects so they should survive.  You could let the new owners know that you were an all year round bird feeder and who knows they may carry on doing what you did. 

My birds have gone from my garden.  I was away for 5 days last week and they have not returned, apart from the fat woodies, 5 collared doves and a few jackdaws. 

They will survive Val.

:D :D :D :D :D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 16:43:22 »
Thanks everyone for your replies. I forgot to tick the box so didn't think anyone had answered ;D I had thought now, especially as the rains have come and the berries are fattening up nicely.and seed heads are appearing. Think I'll have to keep reminding myself, they are wild, I need them more than they need me...I don't think they get much pleasure in watching me in the garden. ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 21:00:49 »
They will be OK Val, I am sure of it.  I still put out feed for the birds but they have ignored the seed today apart from a couple of collared doves.  I also put out delicious but stale real chocolate cake, it was a gateau really all crumbled up for them -  its still there.  Feel like putting a notice up for them saying -  THIS CAKE IS SCRUMPTIOUS     EAT !!!!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 21:12:05 »
Hiya Val

As Bunnycat has said, it is quite safe to stop feeding the birds now.  There is plenty of natural food around, berries and fruit (the one you grow at the allotment !  ::) ;D) - The time to start feeding them again will be at the onset of winter, when natural food has gone from the trees. 

I am in a quandry as what to do then as I know that the feathered rats (pigeons) will also be back !   :P  But you cannot segregate when you feed the birds.
 ;) :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 18:19:32 »
Thanks..I'm not sure if we are moving now...we keep changing our minds so I've still been feeding them. We seem to get more each day, I only give them seed and nuts, its the only thing the dog doesn't go out and eat or bark for.We used to have a couple of wood pigeons here but they seem to have disappeared lately...probably getting better food elsewhere. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal