Author Topic: ? Annoyance?  (Read 10424 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
? Annoyance?
« on: August 03, 2005, 15:29:48 »
Am I the only one who finds the use of this site as a place to post pictures by a certain clique from the BBC site as somewhat annoying?  They post pictures, make no or little contribution to the board and then complain because WE are not welcoming!.  They then have the gall the whinge because someone asks them to reduce the size of their pictures to a size which us poor narrowband users can view without having to wait half an hour. And they do not like the fact that they have to join this site as if it was some sort of open publicly funded forum!.
Rant over, Have a nice afternoon!
Gardening is the great leveller.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: ? Annoyance?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 15:36:31 »
Who you talking about?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 15:54:18 »
Got me stumped too, Eric!!! But nothing like a good rant to get the juices flowing!!!  ;D Lottie

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 15:54:34 »
Missed it - maybe just as well?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 17:02:34 »
"make little or no contribution to the site" leaves out all the regular users does it not?
Look on the Beeb site itself!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 17:42:18 »
Hmm, I consider that I make little contribution to the site, horticulturally anyway, and also post pics, but am not in the Beeb and dont view myself as the target of the criticism. Best aired rather than held inside Eric, but I definitely AM curious !

Talking of posting pics, I must get my subscription off to Dan . . .

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 17:43:09 »
well as i am mainly on the beeb, i would like to say, its often people that are both on ehre and the beeb that recommend this site for posting piccies. so really they are just telling people about this site aswell.  

as for resizing i think people tend to forget, i do very often as i am on 1mg broadband so it loads quick, but when i do remeber i do resize, but it can be a bit of a hassle, i think people are just now moving away from dial up and into broadband more and more.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 17:47:03 »
PS, i think people dont intrigate as much into these boards is that they struggle. on here the rules are much less trict than the beeb. so a lot of chatting goes on in messages. this is pretty forbidden in the beeb so we just ahve the design boards for that, if people dont want to get into the boards as much they stay to the others, if they feel after a while to know people better they come to the design boards at the beeb. I think that people dont want to butt in on peoples conversations etc, (even tho you are a friendly bunch really), and then they all stay away!

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 17:56:53 »
ok, confused now  ???
how do you know if someone is from the bbc board or not?
and why would someone just come here to post piccies if they're not involved in one of our conversations?
and why is it that everytime someone does something awful i miss it?  :(
i love a good rant and a gossip me, but everyone seems so lovely and cheerful, then when someone's naughty i miss it!
huh, typical  ;D
Tara xx

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 18:13:34 »
well as i am mainly on the beeb, i would like to say, its often people that are both on ehre and the beeb that recommend this site for posting piccies. so really they are just telling people about this site aswell.   

as for resizing i think people tend to forget, i do very often as i am on 1mg broadband so it loads quick, but when i do remeber i do resize, but it can be a bit of a hassle, i think people are just now moving away from dial up and into broadband more and more.
Ooh - I did that recently when someone was trying to id a plant - sorry Eric, won't do it again, sorry Dan won't spread the word.

PS Hello Adam04

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 18:16:56 »
Re recent postings by Derek, Lottie, Dibber etc.  I could see whay these could be viewed as a bit annoying as there was a few posts that seemed to hog a few of the boards and were so reguarly written to, it was difficult to tell whether there were any new postings that were relevant without entering the forum itself - a minor annoyance at worst.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 18:22:33 »
Calm down, calm down. I'd just like to say as a user of both sites that they are very different animals with a totally different feel to them. We're all addicted to horticulture in our different ways. I suppose we are also addicted to different message boards in different ways!!!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 21:12:05 »
Now I make no criticism of the BBC board whatsover, despite its lack of a search facility, no picture posting, removing the oldest postings so that questions have to be asked over and over again, no posting of links or useful Web addresses, lack of chat, lack of emoticons and avatars and cliquishness of some people on it, but I just objected to certain people from there regarding and treating this site as some sort of annexe. (Their word not mine).
And Adam there are some of us for whom Broadband is but a distant and probably unobtainable dream. There is no way whatsover that BT are going to upgrade miles of cabling for 4 houses in which there is only one Internet user!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 22:11:35 »
ERic i must say i do agree with you. There is an annoyance on certain boards of people hogging the board for reasons of there own.tut tut, ::).
Of course not everyone has broadband i am fortunate enough to have it but it hasent always been that way so i can understand what Eric is saying.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 22:32:41 »
Palustris, you not to kean on some of the people from the beeb then? any in mind? come on... i wont tell!  :-X

the beeb has its faults, but they have lots of boards and they cant invest the money or time etc to get new ones, we do want more facilities like this, we keep trying.

as for the cables, didnt realise you lived in the woods kind of thing, yes i understand that then, i do try to remeber to resize just forget from time to time. Apologies.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 23:28:55 »
Adam, this is what you just said about the BBC site compared to A4A
the beeb has its faults, but they have lots of boards and they cant invest the money or time etc to get new ones, we do want more facilities like this

and this is what you said on the BBC site today:
a4a is just too big, this is a bit more easily guided through. the only other problems i ahve with a4a is that it gets littered with junkk like avatars and posts with just simply smilies on. personnaly i prefer the beeb boards.

So, as I understand it, you want the BBC site to have more facilities like A4A... which is too big!

Tsk tsk, make your mind up, mate!

And was that an emoticon I saw you using just now? ???

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 23:45:47 »
Eric I think I see where you are coming from now having seen a post on the Beeb headed 'OTGF'  "Posting on other boards" and I have to say I am amazed that some folk pop in here wipe their feet on the welcome mat and run off to other boards and give the gift horse (A4A) a smack in the face. :-\ ::)

To those people, I say "Do come back the door is always open, use the amenities at your will they are free, if you have a problem with this site put it to the moderator of the A4A.

Oh and if your conscience has been slightly pricked you can always change your name we wont know and will still give you a warm welcome, because we are like that here.
 :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 00:06:44 »
Well well well.  I never post on the beeb, never seen the point.  This site has it all!  But, just to blacken my nose, I have had a little wander tonite, and what do you know, the same old names crop up over there, asking the same questions....makes you wonder if it is worth answering some when you are only duplicating what is being said on the beeb board.

And I did see what you were on about Eric, I did see a post about chillis mentioning that they would come over here to post their pictures...when they have the time!

Tis a big wide internet world, where the computer user can go post and read wherever and whenever they like, but it does make me wonder if I am frequently wasting my time.......

(And please note, no smilies or personal chit chat)

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 00:20:17 »
hmmm Emma, well i never!!!  i use both sites yes, but nvr post the same question on both sites at the same time.  and as for the smilies, read below!

eric, i said the beeb needs mroe features like a4a such as searching, piccies etc, a4a has too many child boards.  as for the smilies, the thing with that was i ahte the postings with simply  ;D and very little else, thats all

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2005, 00:27:45 »
a4a has too many child boards

Surely it only has the one Adam, in the gallery for the photographic competition?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal