Author Topic: Lilly shoots eaten to ground level  (Read 1624 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Lilly shoots eaten to ground level
« on: August 30, 2005, 09:37:41 »
My mother in law gave us some lily bulbs she had received as a freebie and they already had shoots about 3" long.  Having planted them at the required depth and gone on holiday I came back to find they ahd been eaten to ground level and no sign of reshooting.  :(

Are they a goner or will they reshoot next year?
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Re: Lilly shoots eaten to ground level
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 10:11:27 »
:(  It's always difficult when they have started to shoot, as they usually struggle 1st yr. Sounds like slugs & snails, they rather like them allot. I would think if they are moist , which lilies must be & if planted out probably will be, they will come again next year. Lilies hate to have their roots disturbed, so would imagine yours are perhaps putting roots down now. Just make sure the soil around them is moist at bulb depth, if they dry out they will not come back again  :'( & crossing fingers may help too..... Good luck.  :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 13:18:28 »
Re Lillies. Marley Farley Have just read your post.. lillies hate having their roots disturbed. I am redesigning (sounds posh LOL) part of my garden and I need to move the lillies, about 10 plants. When would be the best time to move them? Best wishes Lorna.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 17:04:08 »
Thanks Marley - I was hoping that would be the nature of the response and will make sure they are well watered to help them along as my garden does tend to be on the dry side.

Iain
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 02:28:28 »
Either move them just after flowering or in the autumn.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 12:42:59 »
Icy. sorry about coming in on your post but as I needed to know about liillies being moved. Thanks Robert they have finished flowering but will wait a bit longer to let the greenery die down. Best wishes to all Lorna.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal