Author Topic: Bulb planting depths  (Read 1301 times)

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Bulb planting depths
« on: August 29, 2005, 12:58:19 »
Hi all
And thanks for the help and advice I've had upto now and for what you're about to give!! (I hope). I've been out and bought lots of spring bulbs, now I've noticed that when i plant bulbs as they advise - "Twice the depth of the bulb itself" I've not had the best results! any words of wisdom for me before i get this lot out. I've bought - Hyacinth, Mini Tulips, Mini Daffs, Large and small crocus! plus ranaculas. Thanks Again Kev
Just found this in Gardening for Dummies;-

Double click will open it up bigger!!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 14:27:46 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Bulb planting depths
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 17:18:27 »
Twice the depth is a good rule of thumb - so, for a bulb that's 2" high, you need fully four inches of soil above it. A possible cause of problems is if you have sandy soil - the bulbs then benefit from being slightly deeper to avoid getting too dry.
What particular problems are you having?

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 18:35:31 »
Hi Rosa
I've began to plant them a little shallower than prescribed and the results have been VERy encouraging!! the rule of thumb method had me scratching my head wondering if they where ever going to come through, especially my  cannas and begonias.
Thanks Kev
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 14:31:52 »
Sounds like you have fairly heavy soil, then. Only thing to remember is that crocus "rise" in the soil (the new bulb forms above the old one) so they'll need either re-planting or a bit more soil on top of them after a couple of years. Enjoy your show next spring!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal