Author Topic: Tadpoles  (Read 1717 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Tadpoles
« on: July 23, 2005, 17:17:54 »
Hi everyone.  I have quite a few frogs in my garden which have made their way from next door's pond. They seem very content and use my water feature to cool off if needs must.  What I'd like to know is is it possible that they could have spawned in a shallow dish of water I keep in the bottom of the mini greenhouse to imporve the humidity?  The dish is about 3 cm deep and about 20 cm in diameter.  You see today I went to see if it needed topping up and it's got about 100 tiny things swimming around in it.  They are muddy brown in colour and about 1cm long with a head the size of a pinhead.  They move very quickly by wriggling the long tail like thing.  If they are tadpoles then I've already looked up how to care for them but having never seen any so small and undeveloped I cannot be sure.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Tadpoles
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 22:23:54 »
Georgie,I think you will find that they are mosquito larvae,very common in warm stagnant water.Much too late for frogs to spawn now.Don't worry,it is a common mistake to make.and just pour them down a drain or put them in your neighbours pond where they will provide food for others.
Margaret

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Tadpoles
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 22:33:52 »
Oh heck, I'm breeding mozzies?   :o

They will be dispensed of one way or the other first thing tomorrow.  Thanks Margaret.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal