Author Topic: Has any one ever..?  (Read 1883 times)

undercarriage plan

Has any one ever..?
« on: July 21, 2005, 19:37:30 »
Grown a squash up an ornamental archway?? Was wondering about giving this ago next season, planning ahead, you see!! Just wondering if this has been attempted and if so what was the result?  Lottie  ;D (feeling grown up and sensible this evening..... ;))

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Has any one ever..?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 19:53:17 »
Not done it myself, but I dont see why not, providing the structure will withstand the loading, both due to weight and also windloading. Imagine it could be quite impressive . . .

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 19:54:18 »
There was an article in last months's Kitchen Garden about this.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 21:48:49 »
I grow mine up frames all the time, I would imagine it would look lovely!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 22:33:12 »
OK, up for challenge!! Would be main feature in front garden!!! Love to see some bright gourds hanging down, dropping on unsuspecting visitors....!  Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 22:44:24 »
Yes you could put the fruit straight into the basket of your shiny JCB, or throw them at the advancing Dickweed!  ;D

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 23:18:35 »
whilst tormenting the local bee population by causing them to have lavendar hallucinations!   ;D ;D ;D

Derek - you are naughty.  I laughed til I felt ill (or could that be too many peanut M&Ms after hard day at lottie?) - but can you imagine the surprise of peeps who have not had the pleasure of following Lottie's exploits over the last few days?   ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 08:19:56 »
You have my sincere apologies Piglottie, I am afraid it is my wicked sense of humour, sometimes it gets the better of me!(standing in corner with head down!)

Derek  :D

ps - On bended knees begging forgiveness off Lottie too  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2005, 08:22:26 by Derekthefox »

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 08:35:44 »
I have seen them many times abroard growing on archways and such like and they looked very impresive .So i see no reason why not.Might try it myself .There is a picture somewhere of Dottie P's frames somewhere if i am not mistaken.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 10:32:03 »
Derek - no apologies needed! 

Lottie - I have a copy of the article in Kitchen Garden about training squashes on supports, arches etc, so if you want me to send you a copy let me know.   :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 11:36:42 »
I've made a teepee within a teepee for my Sweet Mama.  I have butternuts in my bean rig too.  They would of course look lovely on a proper obelisk or some such   OK the string looks a bit rubbish but you won't be able to see it soon  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 12:27:49 »
Come to think of it, I remember seeing gourds grown up trellises when I was in Bulgaria on the Black Sea. It seemed to be the accepted standard there, obviously because most villages would grow their own food, and space was limited. The trellis also doubled as a pergola (?) to provide shade from the fierce sun. Have an old photo somewhere, probably never find it now.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 23:30:41 »
Wardy - are you feeding that squash on what looks like John Smith's bitter?  ;)  seems to be doing it a power of good....HP

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 10:38:24 »
I gave the sluggies my leftovers and they really liked it so will give them some more  :)  I'm using the empty can as a support to the fruit to keep it off the soil but it's getting bigger and keeps rolling off.  Must be drunk  :) 
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal