Author Topic: pinching out watermelon?  (Read 1613 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
pinching out watermelon?
« on: July 19, 2005, 22:48:59 »
Hi there,
It is my first time grow water melon in my little green house. It had a few little melons on it now :o. Some on the same branch. Does them needed to pinch one out leaving other one in to grow. ??? ???
And how many fruits shall I keep in one plant? Or as many as it can ;D ;D
And I have pinch the male flower tip it over on to the female flower will it  work?please help!
yuet

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: pinching out watermelon?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 02:45:21 »
Any fruit that set from now on will probably not mature (unless your greenhouse is heated?) so I would start removing any that set in the future. If bees cannot get in your greenhouse then I would certainly try hand pollinating.

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 00:41:44 »
So now is too late? There plenty fruits coming out! But only one got to about golf ball size. Do you think that is too late as well :'(
My greenhouse is not heated. When does it suppose started to have fruit on ???
yuet

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 01:10:46 »
Fruit already set will continue growing. Any fruit set from now on is unlikely to mature and will divert energy from those fruit already growing. You could leave them on to see what happens but my thought would be to remove them.
I uncover my watermelons in mid-July to allow the bees access to the flowers. Only fruit set between then and now will mature.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal