Author Topic: pinching out pumkin tips  (Read 1250 times)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
pinching out pumkin tips
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:37:08 »
Hope everyone is having a share in this rain.

8 of my golfball sized pumpkins have shriveled up and dropped off, what would cause this?

Also:

Should/can I pinch out the growing tips of my pumpkins. Will this concentrate the energy into the rest of the plant therefore making bigger/petter pumpkins? I have about 5 on each plant.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: pinching out pumkin tips
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 20:30:53 »
I usually stop mine after two or three.
And, by the way, no rain here. Its like a desert.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 23:17:51 by jennym »

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 21:53:48 »
hmm, what about suqashes then? i have a gazillion on my plants - some are dropping off as nature sees fit. will i have to look after them? i was looking forward to an easy-going crop of plant - wait - harvest...

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 22:06:30 »
I bet they are dropping off due to poor pollination.  Perfectly normal.  I should also think lack of water is a problem, but if you are having rain, then I would certainly blame pollination.  I never bother to pinch any growing tips out of my pumpkins, because I don't have the time, or energy as I have so many plants......and I have no idea where they start or finish!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 22:11:08 »
i havent watered my squashes yet - i mean at all! :o
they are growing on plastic so that keeps the ground moist. although, i think i will give them some water as i think the cracks now run under the pumpkin bed too ::)

rain, we need rain. and yes, i am not worried about stuff dropping off :) there seems to be a surplus anyways.
i was just wondering if squashes have something like 'june drop' if there are too many little ones growing....

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal