Author Topic: can't exactly stroke it,but...  (Read 2078 times)

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
can't exactly stroke it,but...
« on: July 18, 2005, 21:36:01 »
Just popped out from behind his cave to be photographed with the new digi camera.His mate,the big catfish ,is so shy he will only show his tail.One day i will get him though!

Margaret

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: can't exactly stroke it,but...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 22:30:43 »
Great pic. I'm sure there's a good caption to go with that ...only I can't think of one!

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:27:40 »
The funny thing about the "tail" wardy,is that he(my multi rayed sucker catfish,whose proper name i can't spell never mind pronounce!!) thinks he is hidden but he is just a bit too long for his cave.The clown loach is one of a pair,and they are just comical.I bought them purely to get rid of the many snails that would not respond to any method of destruction,and within 2 days the poor little things broke out in white spot.So i treated them in a separate tank and luckily caught it in time.I have had them 5 years now.And not a snail has been seen since,only empty shells.......

The catfish and one other,smaller synodontis,a beautiful spotted cuckoo fish,are all that is left now.i do not intend getting any more.The tank is big,it holds 66 gallons.Both the catfish were rescued from neglect, and are well past their sell by dates,butĀ  i will still be very upset when they do go.

Heidi,perhaps you could start a competition for the best caption!!How about.."Is it feeding time yet,i'm hungry!!)
Margaret

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 13:43:53 »
Margaret, would the tail belong to a Plecostamos?

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 20:25:54 »
Oh wardy,you have made me laugh!! By the way did you manage to get the shells open and the clowns out before they expired? I do hope so.

Ladybird,well spotted.Except you are not quite correct.I thought i had a plecostomus but I treated myself to Dr Axelrod's Atlas of freshwater aquarium fishes(at great expense i might add!!) but very useful none the less.Only to discover he is the rarer species,a(are you ready for this?)

Pterygoplichthys affinis multiradiatus

Common nameĀ  Many rayed sailfin sucker catfish.I must try and get a photo of him. He is beautiful,and is over a foot long.

However in the years i have had him and his few remaining tank mates i have realised that i do not like to see them imprisoned in a tank.They should be back in the rivers of the Amazon,where they belong.So I will not have any more.
Margaret

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 21:17:48 »
When i have more time i will tell you the amazing story of the revival of my 18" golden orfe,with the kiss of life by yours truly.He had something of a death wish,but anyway...........i will save it for another time!! good on your mum for saving the goldfish.There is definitely more to fish than people realise............ ::)
Margaret

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 09:59:15 »
"Pterygoplichthys affinis multiradiatus"

WOW!! what a wonderful sounding name that is, bet he's gorgeous. Need to find my Dr Axelrod book and see if I can find it in there.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 20:57:11 »
He/the tail are gorgeous !  ;D ;D ;D  Beautiful photo - thanks.  :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 07:54:44 »
And here is the rest of him!! ;D

He disappeared about 2 seconds after i got this :D
Margaret

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 19:33:11 »
Awwww he is a darling !  :D ;D  And very shy it seems.  ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 21:26:33 »
Hi Marianne.He certainly is,he only usually appears at night when the lights are off and so i only feed the fish in the evening.He didn't show off his beautiful top fin which is impressive,but i shall be on the look out,and i have left the camera nearby.
Margaret

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal