Author Topic: Courgettes  (Read 23278 times)

keef

• Hectare
Re: Courgettes
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2005, 13:38:22 »
Are you letting them ripen so that they will store??

Nah, i'm going to stuff one for tea tonite and keep one for later. I've given the rest away. They seem to keep for weeks without doing anything special anyway.

I know there will be loads more by the end of the week, i left a couple threating looking ones on the plants last nite.

I plant mine in a big hole filled with manure - they seem to really like that. Last year i had 5 plants and had gourgettes coming out my ears for about 2 months.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2005, 18:37:57 »
Triumph at last!! ;D

Yesterday, I found 2 courgettes of approx 4 - 5".

Also dug up a good crop of potatoes (type u/k)

Potatoes were lightly boiled and fried off together with the courgettes

and sliced garlic, in olive oil and a touch of seasoning..

They tasted great!   ;D

Debs (not such a novice courgette grower now!!)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2005, 23:03:32 »
Congrats Debs   ;D   Congratulations and celebrations, I want the world to know I'm as  happy a courgette grower as can be  ;D

sorry, I'll get me coat  :(
I came, I saw, I composted

Maddy

• Half Acre
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2005, 23:06:41 »
Thanks Wardy, I'm about to go to bed with "that" song stuck in my head now  :P  Quick give me something else to sing "She is the courgette queen, small and green, only 4 - 5" long!"  Falls apart at the end I know  ;D

M.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2005, 23:21:28 »
 ;D ;D#

I'll go off now thinking up courgette related song lyrics.  Got to be up early as got to cook breakfast right early.  might just do courgette fritters  :o

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2005, 09:00:51 »

Mad Maddy and Warped Wardy  ;D ;D ;D

I though, am a happy little courgette grower

Debs ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2005, 11:34:04 »
Although White Bush (left) are certainly the densest & tastiest that I've tried, the effort in picking them through their 'barbed wire' canopy is just too off-putting!!

So - I'll be majoring, as ever, on Genovese.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2005, 12:01:54 »
Tim, where did you get you Genovese?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2005, 15:16:17 »
www.organiccatalogue.com

With so many to choose from, I can't say that it is the best. All I know is that year on year it has served us well - record 62 to a plant & easy to get at!

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2005, 15:27:30 »
i've got 3 courgette plants, have had about ten courgettes off them so far, but one has started to wither away and die, what could cause this, the other two look ok

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2005, 18:27:30 »
Another reason why I HATE Ronde - I'm still trying to get the spines out of my hand after this lot!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2005, 18:59:40 »
"Black Beauty" did it for me.  Have not kept a count but the six plants have kept about 3 households in courgettes.  Fast growing, heavy cropping, great taste and not to spiny!

Will be growing about half that next year!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2005, 19:30:27 »
Littlegem   You can expect a few to wither.  They usually do  :)

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2005, 19:53:00 »
i've got 3 courgette plants, have had about ten courgettes off them so far, but one has started to wither away and die, what could cause this, the other two look ok
I've just killed one of mine too.I put chicken manure around the plants and didn't realise i'd covered the base of the stem on one of them (tricky to see through the leaves).A Couple of weeks later and it's dead,the stuff burn't the stem. :-[

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2005, 23:13:49 »
I have round (in spite of spines) and yellow (almost as painful)fairly prolific and still no green bog standards to speak of.  Equal number of plants (2) of each. ???

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2005, 22:05:57 »
vegging out! i think thats what happened to me, i chucked a load of chicken pellets about, not realising the damage it could do.
icyberjunkie, i'm so glad you've got 'black beauty', i thought it was a misprint on my packet, thought only aubergines were called this, and other people i've spoken to thought the same!!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2005, 22:29:52 »
Nope not a misprint I'm glad to say. although as you'll no they're not black,  not even that dark a green abut definately beauties!  Already got my stock for next year!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2005, 22:34:25 »
they are tasty aren't they, and more of a lined variety, mid green with pale green lines down them, not smooth as you'd normally get, i've already used them to make chunky veg pasta sauces that i've bottled, along with my onions and tomatoes and green beans, shop bought mushrooms and peppers though, failed at mushroom box and peppers are no way ready yet. still got plenty of toms waiting to ripen for more past sauces (dont like raw toms) should keep us going for most of year!!!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2005, 22:43:59 »
Far more accomplished than me!   They are either sauted in garlic and tomato and frozen, blacnhed and frozen or fried off with lemon and ginger.  Pasta sauces and posh stuff is beyond my confidence for veg  preservation.  I'd end up growing a nice mould or something!

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2005, 22:51:07 »
first time i've done it icyberjunkie, but i've read up loads about it, and if factories can do it then why not us, just by using their simple techniques and sterilising and putting sauce in hot etc, surely i cant go wrong!!! (fingers crossed) the button is depressed on my jars so dont think i should have any problems!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal