Author Topic: FOR SAND  (Read 1798 times)

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
FOR SAND
« on: July 08, 2005, 20:59:05 »
Thought it best to start a new topic here.You have got a good quality filter/uv there.Retails at £80.However,i fear the pump is way too powerful,both for your filter and your pond.The aim is to turn over the complete volume of your pond in 2 hours.This pump will turn over 1700 galls in that time!! your pond is a mere 365 gallons!! By splitting the flow into half fountain and half pump you are at least able to prevent a full force pumping through the filter which could well cause flooding,were you to do away with the fountain.However is it because there is too little flow to the fountain that you don't want it? or is because the head gets blocked up?

What you will find is that there should be a choice of heads.I always use the bell fountain and never ever the spray as it blocks in no time or else blows everywhere on a windy day.There should be a tap on the stem to control how much flow goes to the fountain and how much to the filter.

It also states that the pump is not designed to go on the bottom of the pond.this is becuase it will block up too quick.It should be on some sort of base that lifts it clear of the bottom..

Sorry if i am now confusing you.If you do have the instructions I would try and understand them because there may be ways round it without having to change the pump if you want to do away with the fountain.

Orfe,i have just read,need a minimum of 40 sq ft.Now you see what i am talking about!! Quite honestly i think you would be fine just keeping the goldfish and the pump with a nice gentle head on the fountain part.If you have all the spare heads that come with it,try experimenting.If not they are very cheap to obtain.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 21:09:09 by Margaret »
Margaret

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
Re: FOR SAND
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 09:25:31 »
Thanks Margaret, it's great to have a pond expert in the corner of the living room!

Things have progressed since I last posted.  I went to the fish shop yesterday, he didn't want the orfe as he has to be careful where he gets his stock from, he has to have certificates etc, fair enough, I will continue to ask around. 

I did buy a couple more pretty tiddlers and a plant though.  He wasn't much use regarding the mechanics of the fountain, he reckoned there should be a switch to turn the fountain off, can't find one.

However, I took the bull by the horns yesterday and yanked the fountain bit off the pump.  I sealed the hole with PTFE tape and insulating tape and crossed my fingers.  Yay!  Success.  I now have NO fountain and a steady trickle of water from the two pipes coming out of the filter.  It doesn't gush or seem to cause too much disturbance to the water so may be the pump isn't the size I worked out from the selection of pictures on the instructions.  I don't have any spare attatchments so it's difficult to work out which it is.  It could even be as low as 600?  Hope so as things seem to be flowing quite  nicely now. 

I'm getting into this pond lark, I can see now why my Dad used to spend hours by his when I was little, he still has a big pond but has 'other fish to fry' nowadays. 

Can't wait till next year now for my extension!

Sand

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 21:17:11 »
Hi again.Glad to hear you have sorted it out,i presume then that there was no tap on the pump to divert? it is obvious therefore that you have not got a very powerful pump.Or it could just be that the pump is old and lost its ferocity,therefore it won't be able to pump the gallonage it states.What ever the case,as long as you make sure there is enough of a flow in hot weather to oxygenate the pond.

Any time you need help just shout.Always here and always glad to be able to use my experiences over the years for what they are worth.
Margaret

sand

• Half Acre
  • North North Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 09:46:58 »
Thanks Margaret,

I did find a tap type affair on one end but it didn't seem to make much difference to the flow whichever way I turned it.  Touch wood the taping up is still holding and everything seems content in the pond.

You may be able to help me again...I bought some duckweed, thought it looked quite pretty floating about and clumping in corners but after one week it's all but dissappeared.  I've seen the fish tasting it but they do spit it out, the pump is too low to suck it all up, so what could have happened to it?

Sand

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 14:37:05 »
I think the fish are fooling you, Sand and waiting till your back is turned.Mine love the stuff so it is a good way of getting rid of the excess from my nature pond!

Odd about the tap.Mine works very well on my pump.It makes me sure that your pump is old and has not got the strength any more.Just be aware that it could peg out,and have a replacement for the correct gallonage of your pond lined up,or at least know where you can lay your hands on one quick!

Hornwort is by far and away the best oxygenator  and quick growing weed for the pond.You don't even have to plant it.It grows all summer.then sinks to the bottom in winter.But beware it has a tremendous rate of growth.
Margaret

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal