Author Topic: splitting kohl rabi  (Read 2506 times)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
splitting kohl rabi
« on: July 08, 2005, 13:09:05 »
Strange splitting on the bulbs of my kohl rabi.

Some are splitting horizontally, others vertically.  They are a bit bigger than golf balls at the moment (or rather they were).  It looks almost as if they've been vandalised with a sharp knife.  Not all of them are suffering this way.  They have been watered moderately along with pumpkin, cauliflowers, and dwarf beans in the same general area, all of which are doing OK.

Any ideas what might be causing it, or what I can do to rescue them? ???
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: splitting kohl rabi
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 12:50:18 »
This has been mentioned somewhere before.  I believe it is due to eratic watering - mine do the same, but they heal over as they split and didn't effect my crop at all.  I tend to ignore the damage and so long as the wound heals over so no lurgies can get in, hravest them when they are big enough, or when I want them!

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 10:01:39 »
It was my post that previously mentioned splitting kohl rabi and I took comfort from Emma Jane's similar experiences - mine look healthy, apart from the healed split, and are growing well - despite continued erratic watering amid the drought conditions over the last few weeks here in West Sussex (near the sea). My question now is when is big enough big enough to harvest? They range from golf ball to tennis ball sizes (some slightly larger).

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 10:44:51 »
whenever you fancy them. golf ball is too small, tennis ball and up, i would say.
contrary to popular belief, they dont go woody the moment they grow bigger than tennis ball :) but dont let them grow to pumpkin size either :o

like you, i have spotted one split kohlrabi and it's not a problem. just making peeling it slightly more difficult ;)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 11:12:03 »
From my experience I wouldn't let them get much bigger than tennis ball size as they do get a bit fibrous at the bottom when cooking. A bit like eating fingernails!

Mike J

• Quarter Acre
  • Lancing (Sussex)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 13:19:13 »
Thanks everyone - will try one of the larger ones soon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal