Produce > Edible Plants

Strawberries

(1/2) > >>

Shirley:
:)Hallo old friends and new.  A couple of years ago I grew strawberries from seed, type Sarian.  They taste OK and are only need to add to my breakfast.  As yet, these plants have not produced any runners.  Is this normal?  Should I scrap these plants now and grow some more from seed.  Or can you recommend another type.  I really don't want a field of plants, just a few to provided me with a daily supply of fruit.

Palustris:
The type of strawberries which one normally grows from seed are  Alpine. They do not produce runners like the big dessert ones. If your plants have stopped producing good quantities of fruit then sow some more seed. If they are still productive, feed in February with Tonk's Rose fertiliser type stuff and keep on enjoying them.

Shirley:
Thanks for reply, Eric.  These strawberries are not Alpine, but Dessert Type.  The seed is an F1 from mail order seed catalogue.

Palustris:
The non production of runners is a bit odd then. It may be that they have been bred not to. Same thing applies,  strawberries fruit well for about 3 years, but we have some that came from my father's garden 20 years ago which fruit better than some of the newer varieties.

budgiebreeder:
Love ya cat.Sometimes the old ones are best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version