Author Topic: Hummingbird Moth Hawk  (Read 1777 times)

Bambi.1

• Acre
Hummingbird Moth Hawk
« on: July 02, 2005, 13:11:16 »
Yesterday in my garden l saw this huge moth  :o had to google to find it  ::) it was so pretty,but what a long proboscis it had  :o
Found this pic..............

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: Hummingbird Moth Hawk
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 18:14:42 »
Aren't they amazing to watch? The first time I saw one, in the dusk, hovering above some Impatiens I though it was some specie of hummingbird (although I never heard of a hummingbird with feathered antenna) rare to our area. I had to google it too to find out what it was. Something I read last year said they visit the U.K. occassionally when the weather is hot enough and that that generally happens later in the year. I imagine this is testimony to the weather you have been having.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 21:02:38 »

Oops! think l meant to say Hummingbird Hawk moth LOL!!!! not seen any hawks lately  ::) ::) ::)

Yes John it's quite exciting seeing something so beautiful and rare in the garden.l read they usually visit the same area,so my eyes will be on the lookout  :o ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 23:43:15 »
One of the most amazing things I've ever seen was thousands of Clouded Yellow butterflies arriving in Cornwall during very hot weather in 1983. There were swarms of them, literally, at the end of their migration from Spain. I saw two Pale Clouded Yellows that year, one in my own garden, and they're really rare.

It's been pretty cold mostly, but it has at least warmed up now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 23:47:53 by Robert_Brenchley »

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 13:10:42 »

It's time like these you wished you'd had your camera handy,it must have been a wonderful sight RB.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 19:39:54 »
Your moth looks very pretty indeed Bambi  ;D  Thanks for sharing.  :D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal