Author Topic: Who's growing Chilli's?  (Read 5049 times)

City Gardener...

• Not So New ...
  • You can grow anywhere!!!
Who's growing Chilli's?
« on: June 29, 2005, 12:08:40 »
Hi all,

Just wondered who's growing chilli's?

I am growing Jalapeno, Hungarian Hot Wax and Cayenne. I have 9 strong plants, 3 indoors and 6 out. Most of the plants have chilli's on them now with the outdoors plants strangly doing better at the moment. The biggest chilli is the size of my little finger...

Typical me, I thought I'd not need to put lables on the pots to identify the plants thinking I'd remember which ones went where, big mistake and now I'll have to play the old "guess the chilli" game.... :oops:  now there's an idea.... :idea:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 12:11:40 by Jedi of Veg »
You can grow anywhere!!!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: Who's growing Chilli's?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:13:42 »
Aye up

Yes, I am growing chillies.  Same packet of seed as last year - a mixture bought from Fothergills (supposedly birds eye, jalapeno and scotch bonnet - though have never grown a scotch bonnet yet, the seeds all look the same, so its a lucky dip).  8 plants this year.  :o  I did tell myself I would give a few chilli plants away.... but then I never did.  Love them too much!  ;D
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 12:32:06 »
Me too!  Love 'em ;D.  Three sorts: Ring of Fire and Habanero for eating and Aurora because it's so colourful.  Seeds all from Simpsons Seeds.  All 12 plants are inside and since we don't get many buzzy creatures in they're pollinated by hand/brush.  Habaneros are slowest but just coming into flower.  Other 2 have chillies growing.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 14:28:56 »
Loads and have been picking for a good few weeks now.  Have Jalapeno, scotch bonnet, iranian something or the other, chocolate, aji's - several different ones, long thai, apache, hot and spicy....to name but a few!  Must write down all of them so I know what's what!

City Gardener...

• Not So New ...
  • You can grow anywhere!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 14:38:38 »
I hope I'm not giving myself the kiss of death here, but I was under the impression that chilli's were going to be very difficult to grow but they have been pretty pain-free so far...

Cheers!
You can grow anywhere!!!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 15:16:38 »
I hope I'm not giving myself the kiss of death here, but I was under the impression that chilli's were going to be very difficult to grow but they have been pretty pain-free so far...

Cheers!

I grow each year, enough to see us through the year and we cook with them at least once a week.

This year I have about 30 plants, a mix of Hot Stuff, Pinocchio's Nose and Ring of Fire. The last one sounds hot!

They are all grown in the greenhouse, you can see them here.

Since this was taken they are in flower and have hit the roof too.

Jerry

Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Macca

• Quarter Acre
  • Fork it!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 15:41:43 »
looking good sanders!

i've got some aji and birdseye going, only flowering at the moment though. I tried some purple venezuelan aswell but not had any luck with germination

tamsin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 16:18:58 »
I'm growing Carribean hot chillis. I got the seeds with some courgette seeds and a propagater for 98p in Woolworths, which is why I'm growing them ;D I'm glad you think they're pain free because I've never grown them before, and I'd quite like to get some chillis!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 16:26:41 »
I am growing Sweet Aji and Chocolate Chilli, (thanks EJ!)  my leaves are riddled with holes which I am presuming are the dreaded slugs, must do a nighttime hunt! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 17:08:10 »
i have 9 chillie plants, heatwave from thompson & morgan but as yet have no flowers on them yet the plants i gave away to a plotter accrosss the road have flowers on them. i think it is because they are in a greenhouse that has a grapevine in it and so the chillies are not getting enough sunlight. only time will tell :-\ :-\ :-\
takes over your life doesn't it

swainclubber

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 19:40:48 »
i have one habanero chilli plant..it is doing really well, with lots of side shoots and about 60 flower buds :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 19:49:35 »
I've just bought half a dozen plants today; I tried them once before and got a grand total of three chilis. I'm going to try then outside, and if they do reasonably well I'll try more next year. A meal without lots of chili would be unthinkable in our family!

swainclubber

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 19:51:15 »
3 chillies?did it drop lots of its flowers?mine has dropped its first 2.but there are lots of buds remaining

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 21:50:56 »
6x Hot and Spicy indoors.  They all seem to be happily fruiting away.  Longest are about 3 inches, but still green.

Should I be picking to encourage more - and how do I know when?  Will they go red/ get hotter if I leave them longer?

I've also found them pretty easy to grow - but should probably shut up right now before it all goes horribly wrong  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 22:24:36 »
The ones I had before dropped loads of flowers but it wasn't a good summer. That was the year I couldn't get a single queen bee mated properly.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 23:33:41 »

Tis only the second year I've grown them, but I have found them trouble free and beautiful plants to look at to boot.  Here are some of last years.  The big one was about 20 cm long!

Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2005, 00:36:57 »
First time I grew chilis they were perfect - the perfect houseplant and the perfect fruit.  Ever since then they hasve been a nightmare.  Indoors nothing but the mite despite misting.  Will try outdoors next year - my seedligs did not come off this year - too busy with new lottie etc and neglected them whilst looking after everything else.  They are still in modules and only about 5" high and a bit thin.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 09:59:08 »
Do you all grow them indoors?...I've got some in a pot outside, such pathetic little plants, I can't see them doing much now, not a flower nothing. I started them off indoors but as I haven't got a greenhouse thought they'd be better outside. I always manage to get spindly plants from indoors anyway.oh well maybe next year. 
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2005, 11:17:02 »
Yes - well trying to at least!

I'm growing some from EJ - Aji and Chocolate., Plus some from Cleo (Apache) and some I actually bought - poblana.

I lost quite a few to snails. But have lots left (actually I think they mostly ate my sweet peppers as I seem to only have one left). I had a couple of tiny chillis forming, but then went weird so I nipped them off. No new flowers since. Do they like it dry or humid?
gone to pot :D

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2005, 11:31:40 »
Humid, Aqui.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal