Author Topic: Squash  (Read 1580 times)

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
Squash
« on: July 14, 2005, 13:05:51 »
Hi guys, just a quickie: If my squash are touching the ground will they rot and should I put some straw under them like for strawberries or will they be ok?  ???

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
Re: Squash
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 13:33:43 »
My butternut squash have always been left to sit on the soil.  They form quite thick and sturdy skins (unlike some melons), so should be OK, especially if the soil is fairly dry.

If you want an even colour all round you will have to turn them back & forth gently on their stems occasionally, otherwise they are usually paler underneath but perfectly palatable.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 14:13:45 »
Ok, I'll leave them to it then.  Thanks ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 13:15:37 »
We are on stoney dry ground, and as I have loads of straw, I did give some of my larger ones cusions today, and managed to snap the stem off of one!  Be warned, pumpkin stems are brital!!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 15:25:33 »
What about melons, then?
I noticed yesterday that I have 2 kiwi fruit sized ones sitting right at the bottom of one of the 2 plants in my greenhouse, on the soil.
The variety is 'sweetheart'. Should I put something under them or leave them be? Or pull them off and hope I get some higher up the plant?
 ???
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 15:36:13 »
mmm, melons are you supporting yours Robin? I'm growing for 1st time in ghouse they're trailing on the floor at the moment.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 15:50:44 »
Got them growing up a string and cane support from the roof.
They've done nowt for ages, but as with all the other curcubits I've planted (and I've planted far too many), they're flying now.
I read the other day that you should grow either one or two stems, so without thinking I cut off the third which was on the floor, and left the other two which were already climbing.
Then I looked at it and saw that I'd cut off all the female flowers. All those on the climbing stems are male so far. Oops :-[
But then I saw the melons. Phew.

Do you like courgettes? I may have a few spare......
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 17:20:11 »
I have loads of carrier bags in the shed, so I put one under the squash, purely so it doesnt get marked . . .

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 09:05:11 »
Robin yes i do like courgettes thanks for the offer but i have 4 plants doing ok. Nice idea though i'll let you know if i have owt spare.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal