Author Topic: Water Butt  (Read 8752 times)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Water Butt
« on: June 27, 2005, 13:58:33 »
Anyone know if there is such as thing as a "subsidised" water butt system?  We are absolutely skint and in need of the whole kit (butt, lid, tap).  Our local council (Lewisham) subsidise compost bins (£5 each) but no butts. 

Failing that, if anyone knows where I can get one which is robust but cheap, please do tell.  I am happy to order on the net. 
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Water Butt
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 14:02:48 »
Just answered that one in another thread - thames water do them. Not hugely cheap, but cheaper.
gone to pot :D

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 14:06:37 »
You could try local factories - they often have large plastic drums which they would only throw away, we got a huge one with a lid for nothing from a local food factory  :)  :).
I think the council schemes are way oversubscribed - ours advertised water butts for a tenner and when I phoned it took me about an hour to get through and they told me to go in the next day and pick one up but they'd all gone within a few hours :(

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 15:20:57 »
Wilko's have them for £10 & £15 each. I picked up one at the weekend...

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 15:44:25 »
Charlotte, if u r anywhere near Worksop, north notts, you can gladly have 2/3 of ours. we've got about seven altogether!!!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 17:04:16 »
Aqui - I'll try phoning Thames Water then.

Unfortunately I'm in London so Nottingham is not practical (littlegem - though thanks for the kind offer!).  I have never seen a Wilkos in the South, either.  I used to love them when I lived in Loughborough for a while.  My family are from around Notts/Staffs so I always visit Wilkos when I'm up there (which unfortunately is not very often).

Thanks all!
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 17:22:04 »
Wilkos is the best thing to come out of Worksop since Robin Hood - in fact I think it is the only thing to come out of Worksop since Robin Hood.  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 20:08:56 »
LOL, Redclanger.

In case anyone else is interested, the Thames Water subsidised water butts are £14.95 a throw (includes tap, lid, 2 inlets).  You can order online -

http://www.thames2u.com/thames/index.htm

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 20:38:59 »
Robin Hood was from Halifax, what on earth was he doing in Worksop, perhaps he shopped at Wilko's

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 20:47:02 »
Sorry - in family reference to Maid Marion and her Merry Men - children's programme starring Tony Robinsonb - very funny and an absolute crime that it was not on at Peak Time.  But then again, I am the only person who liked Sunnyside Farm  ;D

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 21:03:05 »
Try asking on the - freecycle website- www.freecycle.co.uk
Join the groups (free) that are within travelling distance of you.
People advertise or ask for things, it saves them having to throw things away.
Happy hunting.

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 21:17:32 »
Sorry ani - wrong link.  Try this:
http://www.freecycle.org/
And, as usual the only Lincolns are all in America.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 21:22:07 by redclanger »

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 21:26:31 »
d**n, d**n, d**n.  Thoroughly frustrated now.  We're served by Southern and Mid Kent Water, both of whom advertise subsidised water butts from Blackwalls at £30 + p&p a throw, including lid, stand and fittings.  Thought I'd done well to find the Kent County Council subsidisy on the very same butt through same company but 5p cheaper and with no p&p (£5 saved).  Note to self: always try Wilko's first.  Yes, they have made it down south, Charlotte S: we've one in Canterbury.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 21:47:43 »
Right, that's it then.  I'm moving to Canterbury!  :o ;D

freecycle sounds like a fun site, I'll be checking that one out later.   8)

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 09:41:56 »
There are Wilkos all over the place now - including London. Check out www.wilko.co.uk for their store-finder. We've got a big one in Kingston, that now has a large gardening section - I daren't go in for fear of buying everything!

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2005, 12:27:15 »
My last one was a tenner from B&Q but that was a couple of years ago. Big, black thing which gets used a lot.

I wish I could find a source of lids to stop the mozzies breeding in the shed roof butt...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 12:35:21 »
Have a day trip to Antwerp and buy large wheely bins for £1.50. I got 4, great water butts.

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 12:37:35 »
My last one was a tenner from B&Q but that was a couple of years ago. Big, black thing which gets used a lot.

I wish I could find a source of lids to stop the mozzies breeding in the shed roof butt...

moonbells
Try a few drops of washing up liquid - breaks the surface tension and drowns the larvae.
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2005, 12:58:20 »
Try a few drops of washing up liquid - breaks the surface tension and drowns the larvae.

You really need to put that in tips if it's not already there!
thanks

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2005, 13:17:13 »
Wilkos is the best thing to come out of Worksop since Robin Hood - in fact I think it is the only thing to come out of Worksop since Robin Hood.  ;D
Robin Hood was from Halifax, what on earth was he doing in Worksop, perhaps he shopped at Wilko's

Well, I've been to Worksop and Halifax, but I'm living near Barnsley now.

Much nicer.

;)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal