Author Topic: Advice needed (with Ahhh factor..)  (Read 2642 times)

undercarriage plan

Advice needed (with Ahhh factor..)
« on: June 22, 2005, 19:57:04 »
Hello All, I'd like to pick your brains over where to buy safety glass! I run a gardening club at our local primary school.  We have a beautiful but useless cedar glass house. I have been given the chance to prepare a quote to have it reglazed with safety glass by a sponsor!! Iwas just wondering if anyone had any useful pointers for me!! Please... !  No idea where to start bar internet. My first thought was of my mates here!!  Thank you  Lottie

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Advice needed (with Ahhh factor..)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 20:44:31 »
Thats's cedar?

Don't know, but would have thought that polycarb would work out cheaper, given the amount of cutting to size??

People like DIY Plastics.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 20:48:08 »
Thanks Tim, not sure which direction to jump in!! Think you may probably be right, the parents are getting sentimental over glass bit!!! By the way, did you get OH's E mail?  Lottie

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 20:19:59 »
Simple health and safety, polycarb is the ONLY way to go. I have never come across safety glass for greenhouses, it is normally very thick and extremely heavy, which could lead to the greenhouse collapsing.

If anyone disagrees, explain to the governors the hazards of glass, tools and children . . .
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 20:22:58 by Derekthefox »

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 20:28:41 »
Safety glass is available for glasshouses. Many of the display models in outlets have it for health and safety reasons. We bought our first one as a shop soiled job and that had toughened glass in it. Still think that polycarbonate stuff is probably better, but no cheaper.
Gardening is the great leveller.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 20:29:09 »
Thanks Derek!! And where would I get this from? What with being weird and thick, and silly and eccentric, I don't have a clue!  Lottie  ;D  ;D  ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 20:46:31 »
Look on the back of Gardener's World Magazine, adverts in there somewhere!
Gardening is the great leveller.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 22:43:26 »
Good idea Eric! Thanks, got thick head on today! Lottie  ;D

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 07:33:42 »
If the difference in cost between glass and polycarbonate is minimal, then , as a school governor, I'd need to hear a very persuasive argument to go with glas, whether it be safety glass or not.  Get some advice from your local authority - they may not be happy about glass either.
Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 19:44:12 »
Think you probably right, Wivvles.  Managed to find firm on internet who're going to take me step by step through getting a quote!! Poly-thingy!!!! They also advice this is the best way to go! Thanks for help.  Lottie  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal