Author Topic: polytunnel V rigid plastic greenhouse  (Read 5848 times)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
polytunnel V rigid plastic greenhouse
« on: June 19, 2005, 17:50:23 »
we've decided that with our skill levels a new greenhouse/ polytunnel will be easier to construct than a second hand one and give us the option of taking it apart more easilty should we move.

i can't decide whether i want a greenhouse like this

http://www.norfolk-greenhouses.co.uk/shop/shop.php?category=Greenhouses

or a polytunnel.

i don't really know the pros and cons of each, which would you go for and why?

Jo

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
Re: polytunnel V rigid plastic greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 08:27:21 »
 :) I think allot depends on size. If you want a large one then I would say polytunnel as you renew the poly every few years. If you want to move that, it is only the frame to take. If you want a small one then a Norfolk would be good. They are all s**s to move in my experience.  ::) ::) ::)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 09:26:43 »
WE'vebeen looking at those greenhouses too Legless, they're not a bad price are they? Just a bit concerned how good they'd be but I seem to think someone here said they were ok...

we've been looking in the local paper for ages for a second hand one and we're always too late, we're also worried that we'd get this huge pile of bits of aluminium and glass home and not be able to put it together  :)

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 23:05:10 »
that is exactly our situation.

i phoned norfolk and asked if they did replacement panes if they clouded after 5 years and she said <north norfolk/ lincolnshire accent> "to be honest duck they won't cloud but if they do we always have spares"

size wise we'd be looking at the biggest greenhouse or an equivelant sized polytunnel.....

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 23:45:10 »

we've been looking in the local paper for ages for a second hand one and we're always too late, we're also worried that we'd get this huge pile of bits of aluminium and glass home and not be able to put it together  :)

I bought mine from ebay - can be a pain as I kept getting outbid on all those within 100 miles(!!!) so when a local one came up I pm'd her & asked if she would do a deal for the reserve price. Don't think ebay approve, but tough. Anyway, she agreed, we did a deal & I got my greenhouse.
But regarding assembly, i knew it was a Hall's and a little googling  found the model (it has curved sides & roof) so I emailed them and for a small amount (I think it was around£3) they sent me full assembly instructions. They're still s**ds to assemble though and my OH was not sorry when it was finished!!! ::)
Still it was well worth it  - I luuurve my GH.
Terri  ;D 8)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 23:46:55 by wattapain »

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 06:43:47 »
I had the same descision to make last year...I already had an 8' x 6' greenhouse (second hand) purchased from another plot holder.

Then the chance of a 4' x 6' greenhouse (frame only) for free came up so I joined it up to the existing one making it 12' x 6'...this is great for raising seeds with the 'extension' planted with tomatoes in pots on sand.

I then was given a 12' x 8' greenhouse for the fetching ..Yes, there was some hard work involved plus a few choice words to myself but it was worth it...this is currently full of just about everything you could think of. Grapevine, all sorts of peppers, 4 runner bean plants (for fun) various salad crops, more tomatoes, some mangetout and broccoli (don't laugh)

It worked out a lot less than the polytunnel I was looking at.. Why not look at joining up greenhouses to suit...local glass suppliers will do greenhouse glass at competitive prices or as one plotholder has done on our site, covered his greenhouse frame in polythene....he grows some wonderful stuff in it

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 09:53:58 »
ah but we have no greenhouse building skills whatsoever and my dad lives in turkey so can't be called upon to help!!

i think i'm going for the norfolk one, just need to clear some space for it this weekend and i can order it.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 13:10:45 »

.....we're also worried that we'd get this huge pile of bits of aluminium and glass home and not be able to put it together  :)

I bought mine from ebay ......
Terri  ;D 8)

I got one on ebay, luckily the owner had saved the manual and I marked each piece as I took it done with an indelible pen - side upgright, door upright left hand, etc, and where necessary with an arrow showing which direction was up I also marked the non-square pieces of glass. I'm very glad that I didn't have to build it from scratch as the identification of the bits in the manual was not good so second hand was easier to erect.

It (8' x 6') took me (single handed) 4 hours to dismantle. It's better to have 2 people for the glass. A rachet socket set saves a lot of time.

It took the same amount of time to rebuild after the base had been installed (levelling is the main problem) again a second (or better 4th) pair of hands is helpful lifting the roof into place (it can come down piecemeal but is better fitted together then lifted into place), otherwise a slow single handed approach worked well. Again the socket set is a great time saver.

Leaving the plastic bits that hold together the corners and the cross piece above the door attached to the roof end pieces makes it a lot simpler than erecting from scratch!

I only broke one piece of glass when taking it down (that was only because I piled too many panes on top of each other) and one when erecting (manoeuvring it into position with one hand caused the corner to break off)

A pair of snipe nosed pliers is a great help to remove the clips that hold the glass in place.

A quick spray of WD40 on each nut before unscrewing means it will go back together lot easier - use the thin tube to get it just where you want it.

Spare nuts, clips and Z things are cheap on ebay (half the garden centre prices)

I also took a few close up digital pictures of the corner pieces but didn't need them (thanks to the instrcutions)

I hope that is some reassurance if buying a greenhouse second hand! _
Phil
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 13:23:18 by philcooper »

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 12:52:48 »
AAh thats why I we love A4A - lots of clever advice - thinking of all Dereks lovely things growing has spurred us on :) and Paul is now convinced that by numbering the bits etc it will be just like doing a big jigsaw puzzle...just got to find one now but we're not in a great hurry so we'll keep looking and will try your tip for e-bay Terri.

Thanks everyone and good luck with your GH Legless

sumbody

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 00:25:37 »
Hi - been lurking for ages - my first post - something which I have first hand experience of

I first bought the Norfolk Standard - with poly on a roll - taped into place - years ago as a back up to my glass one - was so pleased I bought another one the following year (I never have enough room come Spring) - they lasted a good 5 years - with repairs being done as needed, and finally last year they were really tatty and we replaced them with the rigid plastic ones - clear sides and shaded double insulated on roof/apex.

The 2 new ones each of them had bits missing (interesting to see if I was unlucky both times !!!), but one phone call and they were provided.  Other than that - totally satisfied.   I have found that they are damper than the glass - pelargoniums have no chance overwintering, but fuchsias etc are OK -

My hubby is no DIY expert - more of a "bodger" (he will freely admit to this - I call him my Cowboy  ;)) but he managed it  - needed me to help on the fiddly bits - make sure the base is exactly level or else you will not be able to slide the plastic in

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal