Author Topic: garlic - falling over  (Read 9400 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
garlic - falling over
« on: June 20, 2005, 13:16:22 »
A lot of my garlic plants are falling over. Is it just the heat or is it a sign they are ready for harvest? They are being watered daily if in pots and every other day in ground. About 1/2-1pt per plant.
gone to pot :D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: garlic - falling over
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 13:31:34 »
You shouldn't really be watering after the end of May, if you're not careful they rot

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 13:36:35 »
Do not water after the end of May.  That is good to know.  I was feeling guilty for neglecting mine.

When should garlic be harvested?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 13:38:20 »
really? but it's so hot and dry. we haven't had decent rain in weeks and weeks. And some of them are in pots. I don't usually water the stuff in the ground this much, but the garden's been roasting all weekend. I thought they needed water to swell the gloves.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 13:53:47 »
Just think about the weather in the place where commercial garlic is grown. Many of the onion type plants use the water stored in their leaves to swell the bulbs, that is why some people say that you can tell they're ready when the leaves start going brown

Never tried growing it in pots, I should think it's quite difficult ???

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 13:57:01 »
good point MT - that'll save me a bit of watering time.

I only grow them in pots out of necesity - don't have a lottie so ground space is very limited. Don't find it anymore tricky than in the ground, other than the extra watering (up until end of May in future!) Granted the bulbs are a bit smaller, but any extras are welcome.

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 14:45:55 »
Hi Aqui, my garlic's started falling over too. I thought it was maybe a little early, so I pulled one up last night to check it's progress (and cos I'm impatient!)
It all looked okay to me - pretty much what it looked like when I harvested last years crop, so I assume it must just be time eat garlic :)

jammy

p.s.  This was from Autumn planted Garlic - the previous year I planted in winter and that died back a little later if I remember rightly. I wonder if planting time would affect harvest time?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 15:45:42 »
 Some varieties are being lifted now - mine, Spring planted, want another several weeks.

Try this for size!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 15:52:17 »
Thanks TIm - very useful. My early one was either early or Purple wight (the label's got washed off!) So according to that, it's ready now. I shall harvest them tonight (we need some for dinner anyway!) Mr Aqui will be happy!

The other variety I'm growing - the late one in that article (can't remember the name and can't see it as I type this!) - is still standing up, so I'll leave that one.

ooh goody - harvest! (better not get too excited as they are bound to not be very big. But as long as I don't have the rot, I'll be happy!)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 16:30:33 »
Hi Tim,

When were you at the garlic farm on the Isle of Wight?...................lol
I was there earlier this month and have the same pamphlet.

Tricia

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 16:49:53 »
My Early Wight isn't ready yet ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 23:36:41 »
My purple wights are up and did me proud - I think I will stick with this variety as it did better against the rot than the white wight  :-\ (solent I think)

If they are bent at the necks, then I would figure they won't be doing a lot more growing.  Have you had a peek to see what they look like under ground?

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 08:17:16 »
Ooh, excellent. Useful thread. We came back from honeymoon to find my garlic looking quite sorry for itself, but I lifted a bulb and it looked OK. Seems like I can lift the rest now - I was wondering whether it was time, and how best to dry them.

Sudden garlic overload is forecast for later this week. Don't know where I'm going to put it all!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 09:35:59 »
....... Don't know where I'm going to put it all!
In a net in the garage?  ;)

Phil

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2005, 09:44:26 »
Dug the early ones up tuesday morning and they are now sunning themselves on the bench (wish I was!) Not huge, but delicious.

And the later ones are starting to fall over too now. I shall leave them a week or so more, if I can!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2005, 10:47:21 »
I checked my garlic yesterday evening and discovered that the Marco (bought from garden centre for £1.99 and planted 30 Oct last year) had "gone over" some having produce small flower spikes since last checking at the weekend.

They are drying off at the moment but the size of the bulbs seems, at first sight, to be independant of the existance of a flower spike.

I did separate out the small and large cloves when planting from the 3 bulbs - 30 "large" cloves 10 "small". There is a significant difference in size of the bulbs produced. I will weigh these and report back.

But without the weighing it would seem that the advice to plant only large cloves (and eat the small ones) is sensible.

The other garlics (Asian Tempest, Bogatyr, California Late and German Red), planted at the same time are standing upright if a little yellow round the edges and suffering from some rust.

Phil

PS On the economics front 30 good sized garlic bulbs seem good value for £1.99 + a bit of effort, half a barrow load of FYM and a couple of handfuls of fish, blood and bone

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005, 11:09:45 »
I know the weather's going to break but, until it does, do read the Garlic Farm advice above - DON'T OVERDRY THE BULBS in this vicious sunshine.

I ruined 60 bulbs that way.

Store? Rope them & hang them?

Tricia - wasn't - they do our Farmers' Market. But I've chatted a lot with Colin Boswell - very helpful.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 11:12:03 by tim »

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 11:12:14 »
Phil - that is interesting.

tim - I know, I meant to bring them in this morning, but I was running late for work and forgot. Nevermind, the way we go through garlic, they don't need to store for long!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 11:16:56 »
Tim,

Thanks for the timely warning

- should be in the hints and tips section of the book  ;)

Phil

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 07:31:11 »
Have resurrected this after finding on search as still so relevant at this time of year and sounds like the same sort of summer.

My Marco planted in March has fallen over and I don't know why as the Solent and Lautrec Wight from saved cloves planted last November is still growing strongly. Can't make up my mind whether to dig up or leave for a few more weeks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal