Author Topic: Can't help myself...  (Read 4746 times)

undercarriage plan

Can't help myself...
« on: June 17, 2005, 20:36:26 »
I'm sure someone out there will explain it to me, but....... I just don't get it!!  What is the point of green flowers!!! Educate me, please.  Feeling like I'm missing out on something, but not sure what........ ???  Lottie  ;D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Can't help myself...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 21:19:17 »
Camouflage?  ;D
I agree, though - think they're a bit of a waste of effort. Mind you, I also think many lemon-leaved plants look sickly....

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 22:28:06 »
Have you ever seen a green flowered chrysanthemum? Fantastic, alien looking things, I love 'em

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 23:16:19 »
I had some green saxifrage, it was fabulous, but it was nicked. The person responsible is now down to two virtually uncultivated plots and appears to be on her way out. Thing about flowers is that bees don't see the same spectrum as us. What appears quite dowdy to us may look totally different to them.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 23:42:08 »
Mmm. Good points, but I'm not a bee!!! With just a moderately sized garden, i want to fill it with colour and... yup, colour!! Still need convincing! Lottie  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 14:19:54 »
I like the odd green flower for contrast; I don't just want a polychromatic splurge. each to their own, I suppose.

supernan

• Half Acre
  • Chief mushroom compost digger, Bud
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 14:50:13 »
Try this one, Rudbeckia Green Wizard, in my garden it was much more lime green than the picture in the link.

http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/page12-rudbeckia.htm

You can use the flowers all year as they dry well!!
Supernan!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 19:08:32 »
OK, yup, quite like the Green Wizzard but because it's unusual. Perhaps I'm a lost cause....... Robert, not meaning to insult at all, I just .... I Just....I just don't get it!!!! Lottie   ;D ;D ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 23:55:01 »
No insult taken, I promise. They're not everyone's fancy, but few things are.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 13:53:29 »
I hate green flowers, I like my leaves green...well sometimes variegated...I can never seem to place them, they either disappear with the green of other plants leaves or look a bit silly, but then I know some people who hate orange....thats us gardeners for you...aren't we great?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 14:19:05 »
That's my problem,Val!! You can't see the darn things!! There are so many beautiful and unusal plants out there that I'd choose over a green flower...... OK, don't feel so alone now..Thank you  ;D Lottie

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 16:16:55 »
Well, think of them as alternative to other green (i.e. non-flowering) plants. Lots of people don't have flowers and just go for greenery. Personally I like the odd splash of colour.
Dawn

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 16:46:11 »
I love green flowers - really bizarre! (not that I've got many). Nice bit of variety.

My garden is at times a little lacking in colour, but it's never lacking in green. But then green is my favourite colour!

pink flowers - what's the point?!!!
gone to pot :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 20:40:25 »
Cos they're pink?    ;) Lottie

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 09:57:53 »
We are a strange lot... ;D ;D ;D ;)...but nice ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 17:48:34 »
Oh dear, this could be embarassing!! Just realized I have a green flowering plant in my garden!!!!!  :o :o :o Ladies Mantle!! It's not my fault, I didn't put it there!! But I will leave it alone, quite pretty in a strangely, green way....! ;D Lottie

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 17:57:14 »
Well I've found in the past that everytime I say I hate something, I'd never have it, I'm searching it out a few years later...so watch this space...

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 18:01:14 »
And also - green is not just one colour - forty shades and all that.
Whar about pale green hellebores - and acid green euphorbia?
Still as you say - each to his own. And as Val says tastes change. I used to absolutely hate tulips and red hot pokers!!  ::)  :P
Now I just adore them.  ;D  ;D  8)
Terri

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 19:47:27 »
Well I've found in the past that everytime I say I hate something, I'd never have it, I'm searching it out a few years later...so watch this space...

When we moved into this house the garden had exclusively pink flowers - I spent the next ten years getting rid of the darn things. Then I decided that I wanted some old-fashioned roses - guess what colour the best ones were? I gave in and planted them - few other pinks have crept in since, too....

undercarriage plan

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 22:05:28 »
Seems like I'm going to end up with a graden full of green flowers! But when I look at my briliiant red Peonie, white roses, blue Ceonothus, pink pelagoniums, just can't see it!! Will keep the Ladies Mantle, for now....... Mind you it's next on my hit list...... ;D ;D Lottie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal