Author Topic: Can't help myself...  (Read 4747 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Can't help myself...
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 13:26:34 »
Lottie - send me your lady's mantel when you get rid of it and I'll send you something pink! I love LM, am trying to grow it from seed, but it doesn't seem happy.
gone to pot :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 21:58:49 »
You're more than welcome!! pm me with your address and I'll attempt to send it!! Not done this before so if you end up with box of wet compost and a really ******* plant......   :o  :o  :o Lottie

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2005, 00:04:57 »
I can't get rid of it! It grows everywhere it isn't supposed to......luckily I love green flowers ;D  ;D   Well some of them! ;)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2005, 00:49:33 »
Lady's Mantle - Alchemilla Mollis - get rid of it?  How could you?

Have you ever noticed how when it rains or when you water, how beautiful the captured water sits in the leaf?  Also, it's always there if anything else lets you down.

Architecturally, as they say, it also provides interesting shape.  However, if you like the shape but not the boring green, grow a geum or a potentilla!  They are lovely and flower prolifically in all kinds of colours, not only pink!  Have a purple Heurchera - insignificant flowers - but every bee I've seen manages to get inside their tiny flowers - lovely colour all the year round and gives a winter garden a lift.

Perhaps it might help to think of green as a framework for your flowers.  As was mentioned, even green hellibores have their own merit!

Best of luck and let us know what happens in your garden, please.
Muddy Boots

undercarriage plan

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2005, 17:03:59 »
In my garden? At the minute looking really lush, til I took a closer look and reallized the lushness was due to excess weeds!! So in my garden at the minute, furious weeding is taking place!  Lottie  ;D  ;D  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2005, 23:17:51 »
Don't worry, you're not the only one. another week to ten days should see off the GCSE marking, then I'll be weeding like mad whenever the opportunity occurs. I just haven't had a chance the last few weeks. Meanwhile the weeds are making hay while the sun shines. You can almost see them growing.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 20:57:12 »
I've been pulling and weeding and squishing and cutting and pruning for at least 20 mins.........!! Need a sit down and big glass of wine!!!!!  ;) Lottie

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 23:56:55 »
I grow loads of green flowered plants, i can't get enough of them.  i initially grew them solely for flower arranging, and couldn't really see the point of them.  but when you see how they spice up oranges and purples and yellows, i can't beleive i didn't used to like them.  and what works in a vase, works in the garden.  green flowers also add form and contrast, the green is not confined to leaf shapes!  i even pick chinese lanterns before they turn orange!
It'll be better next year

undercarriage plan

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 22:33:59 »
I know you're right!! Just can't see it myself.  My mum is a flower aranger, and would give up a child (gulp!) for a decent bit of Spurge!!!! Lottie  ;D ;D ;D

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 13:10:24 »
Everyone will be handing their kids over now, a child for a plant?...wow, makes sense to me.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

undercarriage plan

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2005, 17:36:45 »
Just think how quiet winter would be!!! But (and don't tell them!) I would miss the little blighters!!
And realized something else!! I love plants for their foliage, have lots of ferns, hostas, a Gunnera, bamboo.  So, I do love green, it's just the flower thing  ??? ??? Lottie   ;D

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 17:46:35 »
think of the flowers as really unusual leaves
It'll be better next year

undercarriage plan

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 19:14:33 »
Nope! They're definitely flowers!! Tried looking at them from the corner of my eye, or pretending they're not there, then having a quick, crafty look....... still green flowers!! Nice leaves though!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D Lottie

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal