Produce > Edible Plants

Ezethas Krombek Blauwschok

(1/3) > >>

rdak:
have seen the mangetout type pea 'Ezethas Krombek Blauwschok' in the catalogues -looks very nice, but does anyone here had any growing/eating (or even how-to-pronounce!) experience with it

thanks

ina:
As far as I know 'blauw schokkers' are a type of pea in purple pods. In Holland they are called capucijners and are often dried to save for eating in winter. Capucijners are never called peas here so there must be a real difference. You called them mangetout but aren't mangetout the type of peas you eat with pod and all? I never heard of blauw schokkers being eaten with pod and all. Hope this helps.

rdak:
here's the link

http://www.organiccatalog.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?session_id=6cf5c7ddc&category_id=93&product_id=1456&mode=productinfo

they are listed under mangetout which ,yes, means you eat the whole pod. But it does also say that they can be dried.

ina:
Yep, that's capucijners. You also asked how to pronounce blauw schokkers, try blaow skhokkers (the kh sound is like clearing your throat).

The traditional way in Holland to eat the dried capucijners in winter (usually bought in tins or jars, they are brown then) is with fried out salt port fat (yuk) over the top of a pile of capucijners on your plate, sprinkled with diced, raw onions and diced pickles and a big dollop of picalily.

You won't hear me bragging about the Dutch kitchen hahaha.

gavin:
Intrtigued - they look interesting, and I'm tempted to give them a go.  Thanks, rdak!

All best - Gavin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version