Author Topic: Acer problem  (Read 2193 times)

Piglottie

• Half Acre
Acer problem
« on: June 10, 2005, 23:26:12 »
Have just been round to friends for a lovely meal  ;D and thought would return the generousity with some investigation here.  My friend has three Acers (two green, one purple) and they all seem infested at the moment.  The purple Acer's leaves are covered in a white powdery stuff, on the stems as well.  And all three have sort of pock marks/little cuts etc on the leaves.  Apparently they've been like this for a few weeks and getting worse.  She did spray them with Miracle Grow two days ago - spray on the leaves as well, but the problem was there before this. 

They are all in sheltered positions and are quite decent sizes (ie between 1ft and 3.5ft high).  The purple one and a green one are next to each other, but the other acer is at the other side of the garden.  No other plants seem to have a problem.  Two are in containers, one is in the boarder.  They have had the plants quite a few years with no problems.

Anyone have any ideas?  Have tried to post photos but as OH is away and I am a digi photo/computer linked novice, can't manage it!

Lizard Man

• Quarter Acre
Re: Acer problem
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 02:23:46 »
I lost a Japanese maple to some kind of bug last year. But this infestation was more like lots of little cotton wool looking deposits on the trunk/branhes only (with the bugs living inside the deposits). I was foolish enough to not think they would prove fatal for my maple. Doesn't help with your question though, sorry!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 10:16:15 »
Your bugs sound like woolly aphid. Piglottie's friend's problem sounds like mildew. Are they in a damp spot where the air doesn't circulate?

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 10:57:08 »
Don't think so Robert.  Two acers are in a very large container in a patio area - plenty of through breeze.  Another is in the border, again with good ventillation.  But saying this, I thought that the problem might be mildew as the leaves and branches are covered in a white powder.  Only one of the acers has this white powder on it so I'm wondering if this is the miracle grow (but not sure if time frame fits in).  The little cuts in the leaves are strange though - each leaf has loads of little slits/holes in them which have brown edging.  And this is on all three plants.

Anyone?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal