Author Topic: 'snips  (Read 3046 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
'snips
« on: June 05, 2005, 23:43:25 »
Just want to say a big thank you to Sanders (aka Jerry).  It was down to you that I sowed my carrots and parsnips in drills which I then covered with potting compost.  My carrots have been coming up in abundance now for weeks and finally I noticed on Saturday that I have 2 nice neat rows of parsnips up!  They have certainly taken their time, but the great thing is, there are hardly any weed seedlings in the drill so I can clearly see the 'snip seedlings, no competition, so all things being equal, they will romp away.  Thank goodness!  Begining to think we were going to have to buy parsnips for Christmas dinner!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 11:44:02 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: 'snips
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 08:39:07 »
I think we're going to be buying ours; germination was totally pathetic this year. I don't know why; April may have been cold but I've sowed them in March before and it's worked. It wasn't that cold.

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 09:03:40 »
Me too Jerry.  The carrots I sowed the way you suggested are doing something (albeit small at present).  And the fleece tunnel has survivied so far too.  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 09:17:54 »
Lesson learnt - compost drills for me next year. Although I shall probably try some this year so as not to waste the seed! Carrots were doing ok, but I think slugs have been munching them as they keep vanishing. I've done some in pots covered in fleece to stop them!
gone to pot :D

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 10:02:22 »
am i too late to sow some carrots? i too sowed mine in march and i've only got 3 out of it!!! ::) even though i did parsnips at same time and i've got quite a few of those!!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 10:38:10 »
Plenty of time yet littlegem, depending on the carrot variety!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 11:44:55 »
I will be sowing carrots into September.  Might only get babies, but they are sugar sweet!

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 12:22:56 »
Just want to say a big thank you to Sanders (aka Jerry). 

Very glad it has worked for you all! I will not be sowing any other way on my soil.

And no, not too late for carrots, I often follow broad beans and new spuds with carrots.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

wivvles

• Half Acre
  • This week I 'ave mostly been digging...
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 12:44:08 »
It's bizarre!  Two sowings of carrots have failed miserably.  One sowing of parsnips - in March, station sowed into compost - are six inches high and thriving... (except the one that I burnt last week by mistake -  ::))

Third, and possibly last, attempt at carrots this weekend.

Nagaraeba
Mata kono goro ya
Shinobaremu
Ushi to mishi yo zo
Ima wa koishi

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 13:40:55 »
Is it too late for 'snips? 

Justy found a packet that I thought I planted out... No markings in the plaot.... I guess I'm loosing my plot?  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 15:29:40 »
Not too late, but I don't think you will get championship roots now, but then, do you want them that huge?  ::)

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 15:55:59 »
Oh My No!

I'm fine with six inch 'snips    :)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 16:01:10 »
it's not the size that matters - it's what you do with it that counts ;D
as we all know

have some parsnips up but had to resow a few as large gaps in the planting had apeared. oh well. also sowed some corn flowers as companion plants - and they are already starting to make an appearance :)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Black Forest Dan

• Quarter Acre
  • who put snow on my breakfast?
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 17:05:36 »
I thinned my carrots yesterday, gently pulled some which were too close to each other and filled the gaps with the thinnings (some of them up to 4-5" long but still very thin) to get an even row of carrots, the transplants were looking a bit unhappy this morning, I wonder whether they will survive the shock of being transplanted.....? I guess the fine roots could have been damaged or lost during the transplanting... they have been watered in (lots of rain today) so they have two chances...

I also have some parsnips growing, but the ones planted directly outdoors had almost zero success rate. The only reason we have any parsnips growing now is the second batch planted indoors in turf pots, they seem to have survived the transplanting and are now putting up second set of leaves.

This is my first attempt at carrots & parsnips, what pests and problems should I be looking out for? What pesticide or protection do you always apply for your carrots and parsnips once the initial danger of frost is gone?

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 01:29:45 »
Have I accidentally got something right?
I've always sown my outdoor seeds in compost drills - or blocks, or whatever shape I want them to grow in - but only so that I can tell by the difference in soil colour where I've put the darn things!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 09:49:36 »

This is my first attempt at carrots & parsnips, what pests and problems should I be looking out for? What pesticide or protection do you always apply for your carrots and parsnips once the initial danger of frost is gone?

Parsnips suffer very little problems and I never treat them with anything or give them much protection. I do cover with fleece to help germination very early in the year.

The main issue with carrots are Carrot Fly and Slugs. I cover all carrots at sowing with fleece and leave it on until harvest or the first frost. This keeps the fly away from them.

Slugs will eat the new plants as they germinate. Once they get the larger and have true leaves they seem to leave them alone. But on heavy soil slugs under ground can attack the roots, especially if they have already been damaged by fly larvae.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal