Author Topic: C.o.c.kchafer  (Read 1906 times)

Bambi.1

• Acre
C.o.c.kchafer
« on: June 02, 2005, 13:26:39 »
We get a load of these this time of year,l think they are rather pretty,but do they do any harm to any of the plantsĀ  ???

These are dead as you can see and don't look so pretty,l don't think they last very long...........poor things.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 13:28:22 by Bambi.1 »

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: C.o.c.kchafer
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 14:44:56 »
the grubs do munch through a lot of roots....hungry little buggers.
the bugs themselves are harmless, except for their egg laying capabilities ::)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 20:26:24 »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o  Eeeeeekkkkkk!!

I thought they were cockroaches at first !  Never seen those before in the garden - If I did, I would run as far as possible!  :o :o
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 22:11:33 »
Bambi your a right old softie you know  ;D  ;D  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 22:18:02 »
Copied this off the RSPB site as I can't link it with the word cock in the addy ::)

Cockchafer
Melolontha melolontha

This familiar beetle has a black thorax, rusty brown elytra (wing cases) and brown legs. It has characteristic antennae that fan out.

You can often see cockchafers on May evenings buzzing around the garden. As large, noisy insects they can be a little frightening, but are actually harmless to humans. However, they can considerably damage garden plants and crops.

The larvae, also called rookworms, are fat, creamy-white grubs with brown heads. They live in the soil for about three years eating plant roots. They especially like cereal crops and grasses and can do a great deal of damage.

What does it eat?
Adults chew flowers and leaves. Larvae eat plant roots.

When will I see it?
At night from May to July.

Where will I see it?
Humming loudly around the garden on late spring evenings, often crashing noisily into lit windows. You may see the larvae when digging in the garden. Also in parks and woodland margins.

I say squish em like slugs :o ;D

This was also covered on this link recently...http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,9810.msg88147.html#msg88147

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 13:53:59 »

Thanks for that Roy  ;D l don't think l could go out in the evening squishing them all  :o they are so pretty with a furry head and such lovely antennae,in fact one flew into the office the other evening and started crashing into the light,so l quickly got a towel and cought it and put it out the window.I must admit l've never seen them eating any plants,they just head for my garden lights like kamikaze pilots  :o ;D and l find them dead on the floor. :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal