Produce > Edible Plants

Parsnips

<< < (4/4)

Hyacinth:
That is an impressive statistic, John and thanks for the input - it's great that you come here & sort us out.

Hugh - meant to write that I would do a Ph test first and lime afterwards if necessary. Oh, and I see that I wrote I'd manured the plot that takes carrots, etc? Well, I don't, I haven't, and, no! I'd not been drinking when I posted...

My question was prompted by BB writing a while back that he manures his lottie and I wondered if this particular patch might need some now?

Like Tim, crop rotation isn't such an option for me - I'm growing in limited space and, apart from sprouting, don't 'do' brassicas. The carrots (Nantes 2) stay more or less in the same patch & I've never had disease or fly - (may my good fortune continue). Digging the patch out and removing all stones some years ago has paid dividends - perfect baby carrots every time, every year. :D - Lishka

gavin:
Ahah! :D

Thank you, John - I've read books old and new, talked and listened for four years.  Heard the tutor of a gardening course tell everybody "the idea is probably rubbish, but everybody says it, so no harm in doing it."

Thank you for the explanation and confirmation - much appreciated.

All best - Gavin

BikerBob:
While discussing Parsnips and it does`nt seem to have been mentioned before in this topic. The following is an extract from this months Kitchen Garden mag.
Pringles for your Parsnips.
(enclosing a photo of his parsnips which weighed in at 3 and 2lb with two examples)
I decided this year to use Pringles Crisps tubes. I cut the bottom off and filled the tubes with seed compost, then sowed the seed. I kept them in the greenhouse until transplanting the tubes onto the allotments. The tubes protected the parsnips and expanded during growth. I am truly amazed and excited at this year`s crop, so much so, that I have already asked my friends to save the tubes for next season.  Unquote.
Editors reply: Growing rootcrops in pipes isn`t new, but pringles tubes are a bit different. Unquote
So if you have`nt tried this method already, you might wish to try it next season.
I don`t grow them personally as they take too long to grow and I don`t have that much room available on my garden plot. Presumably you could do the same method for carrots, with toilet roll inserts etc!!
Bob  ???

rdak:
would you bury the tubes or have them standing on the soil?

BikerBob:
As it said they were transplanted into his allotment, they would be buried into the earth presumably.!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version