Author Topic: Storing carrots in sand?  (Read 7073 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Storing carrots in sand?
« on: September 04, 2008, 12:53:39 »
I was asked by a fellow plot-holder the other day: what sort of sand? and what sort of container?

I suggested that sharp sand might be better than builders' sand, as the latter retains moisture, which might not be a good idea. But - although I know it can be done - I've never been able to grow enough carrots at a time to try it!

So - anyone tried it? Any tips? And is it a good way to store carrots for the winter? Any ideas gratefully received and will be passed on.

And I might have a personal interest in the answer, as my carrot crop is one of the best ever and I'd rather not loose it to carrot fly!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Storing carrots in sand?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 14:21:20 »
Remove any excess soil and don't store damaged carrots.  (Eat these first.)  Lay the carrots on a bed of sharp sand in a box, ensuring they do not touch each other.  Cover these with another layer of sharp sand and keep repeating the process.  Apparently they can be stored this way for up to 6 months.  Never had any that long though.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: Storing carrots in sand?
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 15:14:21 »
I stored carrots last year in sand.  They store very well and for a long time.  I stored them in a black bag which was in a collapsable storage box but the only problem I did find was that the box was extremely heavy to lift or move about ..............I know, should have put less in it  ::)   But my point is that the sand made it very heavy.  I used compost in the other box and this was much lighter and stored as well - so I will use compost again this year.
twinkletoes

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal