Author Topic: Plum tree festooning  (Read 12326 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Plum tree festooning
« on: January 22, 2006, 10:48:27 »
Very basic picture showing on how to festoon a plum tree to make it more productive and easier to pick the plums. This is best done in winter, and when the tree is young, although the sketch shows an older tree with some pruning having been done in late summer.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Plum tree festooning
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 10:55:36 »
I think we should probably  do this to our tree. It is quite old however so I don't know how it would respond. It was already a mature tree 11 years ago when we bought the house.

Normally I don't prune in winter because of the risk of silver leaf infection. Do you prune and seal as you go?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 10:58:43 »
Only thing to add is that Plums should not be pruned after August becasue of the danger of Silver leaf fungus which releases its spores in the damp of autumn.
Gardening is the great leveller.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 11:08:42 »
Try not to prune at all in winter as you say. However, if I do have to cut anything from Prunus types in winter, yes I seal the wound. And when cutting out larger branches, don't saw off flush to the trunk, cut back just to the branch collar (the bulging part where the branch joins the trunk).

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 19:03:29 »
Thanks for that advice. I've been housebound all weekend with a stinking cold but between now and next weekend I'LL "Do" the plum tree and report back.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 00:11:56 »
I have a plum tree which I am trying to festoon as well. I say trying because it is surprising just how much effort is required to get the branches to bend (slightly). I was a little bit too adventurous with one branch and it snapped. A reminder to me not to be so clumsy.

I hope you have luck Grawrc.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 20:02:44 »
Thank you Curry!
 I do agree: the branches of plum trees really seem quite brittle. I can understand that Jenny recommends festooning when the tree is young.
Needs must, however, and I'll dig out the Arbrex and the long-armed loppers.
Between that and the water jets to rid the tree of aphids the poor thing may not survive. :'( On the other hand it is actually more likely to be rejuvenated and to burden itself with fruit. That's what usually happens when I chop it back.
According to Peter (OH) anything I touch grows. I suspect he is looking through rose coloured spectacles but I do hope he proves to be correct on this occasion at least. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal