Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2015 and growing progress  (Read 72965 times)

clumsy

• Half Acre
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2015 and growing progress
« Reply #400 on: October 05, 2016, 17:33:02 »
Harvesting some of the chilli, they were lantern.

galina

• Hectare
  • Northants/Beds border
« Reply #401 on: October 10, 2016, 10:50:42 »
Lovely coloured pepper, looking really healthy, Clumsy.  Did you have two different shapes or are they two different peppers?

I had to laugh comparing tomato Delhi to pepper Piquante.  They look exactly the same, apart from the size.  I had not realised that Delhi is a stuffing tomato.   :wave:

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #402 on: October 10, 2016, 14:41:16 »
Two different types the small ones are lanterns and the big ones are Hungarian Orange.

galina

• Hectare
  • Northants/Beds border
« Reply #403 on: October 10, 2016, 14:59:12 »
Ahh!  I haven't grown the Hungarian Orange this year, definitely something to look forward to.  Thanks for showing us, Clumsy  :wave:

I have one fruit of Lantern Chili so far and hope to overwinter the plants (have just today moved them from the greenhouse to a windowsill and trimmed them up a bit.  Fingers crossed they will get through winter and produce much more next year. 

My Piquante plant is now 4 years old, but it had fewer fruits this year than last.  Probably time to sow again next year. 

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #404 on: December 27, 2016, 15:20:25 »
Greetings.

I have been looking in from time to time and always meant to post progress, but there have been too many distractions and interruptions this year.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to the providers of the seeds, I grew a fair few from 2015's batch.

Blue Coco and Lazy Housewife - both doing well EVENTUALLY on account of the dismal mid-early summer.  Blue Coco adding another to my purple French repertoire (can always grow another) was exceptionally prolific and consumed well at all stages.  Lazy Housewife, one I've always intended to try, delightful for the perfect white egg-shaped beans. 

Parsnip F3 did a stirling job against all the odds.  I sowed that and my usual Tender and True a few days before my plot flooded and I was amazed to see the F3s finally appearing (none of the others managed).

Most of the tomatoes I tried from the list were also thwarted by the floods, but Medovaya Kaplya recovered and thrived and was deemed a well-flavoured one and good-looking too.

All of my potatoes were rubbish because of the ark weather including Snookie.

I grew two Litchi tomatoes, which were a fabulous flourish on my plot and much, much bigger than I'd imagined.  They were blooming until late November with an enormous spread of at least a metre each.  I didn't enjoy the fruit at all though - maybe better grown in a greenhouse.  Again, strange weather - I suspect the temperatures were all-round too low.

Also totally enjoyed growing two Skagit Magic from seed - the flowers were quite astounding and went on forever, but harvested about two pips.  (not a good potato year on my plot).  I didn't feel they were worth saving for next year's production.  But totally gorgeous to grow.  I wouldn't have missed it.

I should also mention the extraordinary Vegetable Mallow specimen that volunteered itself as the winter squashes had set fruit and were ripening in late August/early September.  Realseeds says they should grow to around 5 foot, but this was nearly 8 foot in very rich soil, still edible, and growing until early December.  It looked like a tree.  (It was me who put the seeds in the share for this, but thought I'd mention it's not exactly as described).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 15:33:44 by earlypea »

Allotments 4 All

« Reply #404 on: December 27, 2016, 15:20:25 »

anything