Author Topic: Beetroot Tarte Tatin  (Read 2840 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Beetroot Tarte Tatin
« on: May 05, 2013, 19:06:48 »
Being meat and 2 veg 24/7 it was about time I dined on something from the vegetable stable that would feed us, and be tasty, but I could still add things for the carnivore in me if I wished.

Ive tried Butternut squash cubes,,Boiled new spuds or Carrot, veggies such as Courgette or Tomato ive found too wet and dont lend itself to the Puff Pastry but the list is endless of possible usable vegetables.

The Cheese Toppings are optional and personal, but I know goats cheese is Judes Fav,but I enjoy the Feta and Parmesan as tasty combo.

INGREDIENTS

Few chunks of Feta Cheese
Few shavings of Parmesan Cheese
1 packet cooked baby beetroot - sliced in half
1 red onion sliced
Few Mushrooms of your choosing sliced in half
1/2 Green and Red pepper sliced in strips
sprigs fresh thyme
Fresh Basil for ripping
sea salt
black pepper
1 tbsp honey
1 desert spoon balsamic vinegar
1 packet ready made butter puff pastry
1 egg to eggwash pastry
olive oil
Packet of prepared Puff Pastry

Prep the vegetables and lightly soften in a frying pan with Olive Oil,sprigs of Thyme and season well.

Using a slotted spoon remove vegetables and set aside,then add sliced beetroots to remaining hot oil in pan,add Honey and Balsamic to pan and coat Beets,warm through for 2 minutes.

Remove Beetroot from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.

Butter a 10 inch flan dish and add the warmed Beetroot slices round edge down in the flan dish,add some of the hot pan juices if you wish but not too much as this will inevitably drain through and soften the pastry once you invert the flan dish,so be aware of this !!!!!!!!!!!!

Add the softened Mushrooms,again make sure they are drained of too much residue cooking Oil.

Add remaining cooked vegetables to flan dish.

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.(170 for fan oven)

Roll out Puff pastry and using a same size flan dish as a template cut to size the pastry and tuck it down the sides of the vegetables in the flan dish,eggwash pastry and cook on middle shelf for 20/25 mins

remove Tarte Tatin from oven,run a clean knife around edge of pastry to loosen from pie dish,place cooking tray carefully over pastry tin and invert
 holding both trays with a cloth so as not to burn fingers.

Once tarte is right side up heat the grill.

add ripped basil leaves and Cheeses of your preference and place under hot grill for 2 mins.

(optional extra is meat to the dish and I often cook a chicken breast)

Plate up Beetroot Tarte Tatin with salad only or add Meat if you prefer.

Drizzle with Olive Oil and tuck on in !!!!!!!!!

Enjoy

Gazza
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 19:35:33 by gazza1960 »

daveylamp993

• Acre
    • theallotmentandgardenscounciluk.org.uk
Re: Beetroot Tarte Tatin
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 23:20:06 »
Looks lovely,will be trying this very soon
The BEST Organisation for Allotmenteers is theallotmentsandgardenscounciluk JOIN NOW,Much better and FAR Cheaper than N.S.A.L.G.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:36:21 »
while I had the Puff pastry out it would have been rude not to do er indoors a pudding so we also had this Plum jobby with cold custard and it was lovely.............. :blob7:

Being a Diabolic I only had a small slab,so more for Jude.... :tongue3:....anyway.she was happy.

Gazza

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 18:06:38 »
I'm always a bit stuck for ideas when my vege friend comes round.  Thought I would give this a try - it went down very well.  I've been told I can make it everytime she comes.  Very tasty and different.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal