Author Topic: Duties of Chairman  (Read 3725 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Duties of Chairman
« on: October 12, 2011, 18:58:50 »
I have been looking on Google for an easily understood description of the duties of a Chairman for a voluntary organisation, such as an allotment association, without much success.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Duties of Chairman
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 19:02:06 »
NSALG. They've got a downloadable booklet on running an organisation, with sections detailing each of the main jobs.

Basically, the Chairman chairs the meetings and is the public figurehead of the organisation. The real work is done by the Secretary....

(Ducks behind sofa and awaits the flak!!)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 19:03:54 »
Does this help = someone posted it here!!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=65532.0;attach=36852

Link is to a pdf

The real work is done by the Secretary....

(Ducks behind sofa and awaits the flak!!)

Quite right!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 07:45:14 »
The Sec gets all the flack when things go wrong - and never gets any praise when things go well. Our Chairman cannot even attend our meetings. I called for a meeting as I had negotiated a grant for £5000.00 to purchase a storage container, Rotovator, Strimmer, Water troughs and a lot more equipment for our allotments, Out of a membership of 19 (we are small site) only myself and one other member turned up, The other committee members did`nt attend so we did`nt get a quorum and because of the lack of interest we lost the grant. The notice was up for weeks about the meeting - who got the fault? Not the absent Chairman nor the absent committee members or absent tenants, - NO I did because I am the Sec -Its a lonely place being the Sec I can tell you. I felt very disappointed as the grant application took up nearly 4 months to process and to be let down at the finale hurdle be my own members and committee was hard.

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 21:18:49 »
I agree with Trevor d.

Digmore

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal