Author Topic: Purple Majesty potatoes  (Read 5443 times)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Purple Majesty potatoes
« on: October 21, 2010, 19:39:26 »
I bought a pack of these potatoes from Sainburys, which are purple right through, and would say that they taste good with a slightly waxy texture. When microwaved they retain their colour. They are far better than Salad Blue.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Purple Majesty potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 13:29:09 »
May have to look some out then....  :-\

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 18:14:32 »
I've read a lot about how tasty they are plus the usual superfood info about something special they have that makes you live for ever. I was thinking of buying some from Sainsburys and growing them - do you think this would work?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 18:40:38 »
Bought some today and microwaved with cheese.  Nice tasty snack with eyes closed.  Not sure I can get my head round the intense purple colour.  It is hard to think of it as natural.   'Everything is unusual until you get used to it.'

I am also thinking of growing some.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:48:28 »
I've read a lot about how tasty they are plus the usual superfood info about something special they have that makes you live for ever. I was thinking of buying some from Sainsburys and growing them - do you think this would work?
No reason why they shouldn't...
might benefit from a good wash if they have been treated to prevent chitting...  :-\

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 09:54:58 »
if they have been treated to prevent chitting

If they are anything like sweet potatoes it takes a good scrub to get it off. 

I am already thinking they are having a good effect on my arthritis.  I did not expect any sort of instant effect but so far pleased with the results.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 16:11:22 »
I'd like to try some if I get the chance. I'd particularly like to compare them side by side to Vitlotte and Russian Blue, both of which I like. Although the harvest from Vitelotte has been very disappointing this year and makes me wonder if it is worth the effort.

Interesting observation Digeroo, I hope they continue to have a positive affect.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 19:08:18 »
Was at the Good Food Show in Glasgow today and tried these potatoes microwaved and served with butter.  With eyes closed, they tasted lovely, but my mum used to say that when you are buying new plates always try and imagine mince and potatoes served up on the plate.  Cant imagine mince and onions served with these potatoes (or indeed any meat!)

Meg

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 15:04:27 »
I tried some of these yesterday bought at Sainsbury's for I think £1.50 for 1.25kg.

Potatoes were boiled and then mashed. Purple Majesty were a stunning colour and tasty,  the purple colour is a slightly darker tone than Blue Russian which as the name suggests more on the blue zone when seen side by side. PM tubers are more rounded in shape, BR are a little flatter and a long oval. Taste; Purple Majesty I think has the edge, but I enjoyed both. Good boiled and super mashed with a little butter. Can't see I'll bother with Vitelotte again, not enough return, or perhaps I've not mastered growing them yet.

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 16:34:06 »
As my favourite colour is purple I think I shall have to try some of these beauties.

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 01:04:20 »
Just bought some of these today from my local Sainsburys.
What would be the best way of storing them for growing on our plot next year (we usually just buy seed potatoes every year)?

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 07:10:00 »
Can't see I'll bother with Vitelotte again, not enough return, or perhaps I've not mastered growing them yet.
Similar thoughts here.  I'll post a photo, but mine are such weird, monstery shapes - tricky to prepare for cooking.  Plus they were a very late developer.  Taste nice, but too many downsides in my opinion.   

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 17:47:17 »
Vitelotte (and indeed Congo) are ancient varieties.... the only regularly grown one that dates back that far is Pink Fir Apple, and we all know what that looks like sometimes.... If it predates the breeding breakthrough of modern potatoes in the second part of the 19th century then it's likely to be an "alien potato" as my niece refers to them....

chrisc

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 22:13:34 »
I have now bought Purple Majesty and OH steamed them, and I have to say I am not very impressed. They don't seem waxy, but floury and "heavy" without much flavour, and look really grim on the plate. Maybe he overcooked them, so we'll try again with the rest, but at the moment I don't think I'll try growing them.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 19:58:59 »
I bought another pack of Purple Majesty as I thought that they were so good. I microwave all my potatoes so all the flavour and colour are retained. This time when I went in to buy them there was a free recipe booklet for their use in dishes such as fish cakes, ratatouille, potato and tomato broth, wedges, stir fried roots and haddock hot pot. The pictures of the purple potatoes in all these dishes is certainly spectacular!!
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

onionsquash

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 15:28:37 »
I think these were bred in the USA from All Blue, which is probably related to Congo to get the intense colour and a good eater like Maris Piper. They tasted OK but nothing special, though I can't resist novelty veg. I've saved a couple which are sitting on a cool windowsill and just starting to sprout now so should be OK to plant next spring.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 23:36:44 »
I have put a few in an egg box on a north facing window sill as I do for normal chitting.  I am keeping a good eye on them but so far they seem fine. 

Apart from the colour I really like them microwaved with either cheese or butter.  Great.  My only concern is that it is not easy to see if they are going mouldy and I don't know how you could tell if they are going green.  If you put a fried egg on top the white goes sort of green.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 12:29:26 »
I have put a few in an egg box on a north facing window sill as I do for normal chitting.  I am keeping a good eye on them but so far they seem fine. 

Apart from the colour I really like them microwaved with either cheese or butter.  Great.  My only concern is that it is not easy to see if they are going mouldy and I don't know how you could tell if they are going green.  If you put a fried egg on top the white goes sort of green.

It's a similar problem with the  other blues though.... I guess you just have to look out for the "differen" colour bits and inspect with suspicion...

chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal