Author Topic: crittall greenhouses  (Read 10212 times)

vino

crittall greenhouses
« on: August 22, 2010, 23:18:37 »
I have a crittall greenhouse  which is in the process of been re errected on my allotment with the help of many 'bods'.

This is the first greenhuse I have ever had and the 'bods' are very improtant if not vital to this this process.

When the greenhouse was dismantled the overlap clips were lost!! I have managed to get some from local garden centre and these seem to be fine for the sides.  BUT judging by the amount of verdigris on the roof panes (jeyes fluid seems to shift this very well) the overlap is far greater than on the sides.

Some of the 'bods' think that overlap clips are not required on the roof others disagree, I am in no position to have an opinion either way, but if they are required then I need to get much larger ones than the ones I got from the garden centre.

Can anyone shed any light on this and if I do need larger ones  any suggestions where do I get them from.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: crittall greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 23:52:55 »
I don't know the Crittal details but  I will give you my opinion on the roof panes!

I would use clips on the roof and from what you describe I would suggest any of two options;

1)If you want to use standard 'Z' clips you could cut the the last piece of glass in each panel to suit the space created after fitting the standard panes of glass.

2)you should find that the the shop/ GC that you get your 'Z' clips from sell packs of flat strips about 2" long which can be bent to suit your overlap.

I would have thought that there is an upstand on the eaves glazing bar to prevent the glass sliding down.

If not again use the strips I mentioned above and drill and tap them to the eaves glazing bar.

I hope that all makes sense.

vino

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 20:01:39 »
Thanks for the info, yes it has made sense apart for the bit about the up stand, not sure if I know what an up stand is so not sure if there is one on the eaves glazing bar!!,.  I did say I was very new to this greenhouse business, however I shall consult with June, the only other person on our allotments who has a glass greenhouse and so far has made the most sense and offered the most help.

She assembled her own admittedly with diagrams etc (hers was a new greenhouse) and was definitely of the opinion that I did need clips on the roof, as hers has them.  But as mine is ancient and minus a lot of the clips etc (lost in transit) it has proved to be a bit of a challenge.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 20:49:08 »
By upstand I mean a small vertical ledge(upstand) the thickness of the glass to prevent the piece of glass sliding off the slope of the roof.

I hope this clarifies what I mean!

vino

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 16:51:23 »
 Yes it does, sorry for being so dumb,
thanks for the advice

Al Lotment

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 20:47:08 »
I have a Crittall-Hope greenhouse that I inherited with the house. It is probably 1960's vintage.
It is galvanised steel and direct glazed, originally with putty ...... so if your greenhouse is similar then "modern" glazing systems, z clips, rubber seals etc will make no sense.

A couple of years ago, I dismantled and rebuilt the greenhouse on top of a new brick base, I re-glazed with silicon sealant and cleaned and re-installed all the glazing clips. I have extras I could provide you so you could get them copied .... but they are all light (bendable) aluminium in odd shapes that grip the frame, support the glass and are designed to be embedded in whatever glazing medium you use putty / silicon.

If this sounds like your greenhouse I am happy to help ....  Simon

vino

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 21:42:54 »
Thanks for your offer of help sorry I haven't responded sooner I was away on holiday at the start of the month and I have been very busy at work since my return I have only been down to my plot to pick and have not had time to attend to the greenhouse.

You did send me some photos which do look very similar to my greenhouse and you very kindly sent me your phone number but I think I have, in my haste to sort through my emails, deleted it cos I  can't find it!!,

Would really appreciate a chat about this problem greenhouse, my phone number is 01604 811316.

Thanks Caroline

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal