Author Topic: TESCO admits to being BIG BROTHER  (Read 3725 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
TESCO admits to being BIG BROTHER
« on: January 17, 2010, 20:01:54 »
Their advert tells us to sign into their site then put in our card number. They will then tell us what we normally buy. So they give us a few brownie points so that they can spy on us. Personally I do no find Tesco very good on their prices nor their quality. Fine for a one a week shop if you are a busy person but thankfully, I am not

I shop at Asda, mostly, they do not use cards, their stock may not have as much choice but, generally, what they sell is at a reasonable price. I pay with cash.  I withdraw at the bank.

However that is not the point. If Tesco are checking our personal baskets. What about the banks, Using our ATM cards when we shop. They can check where we shop AND what we buy. They know where we are too. Coupled with mobile phone records, most of us can be tracked so that our whereabounce can be confirmed on CCTV.

Fine if we need an alibi of course. But the fact is we are traceable all the time. I find this, a little spooky how about you?

ACE

• Hectare
Re: TESCO admits to being BIG BROTHER
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 20:23:15 »
I have never done 'loyalty'? cards. I saw right throught them to start with. I get my petrol from sainsburys and always tell the girl in the kiosk. 'Just the bill please' then they will ask about a card so once again I say 'just the bill please' Most of the  usual girls don't ask anymore. But one did one morning so I said you should no me better than to ask. Her reply was, her superviser was there and they have to ask. So I called the superviser across and told her to inform her staff not to ask for a tracker card from me. She started to deny it was a tracking card, so I lifted my foot off the ground and shook it at the same time as rattling my keys. ' Can you hear the bells ' ;D

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 20:31:08 »
Another bit about mobile phones, apparently they can track you even if your phone is switched off - you have to remove the battery to stop it.    >:(
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 21:02:36 »
All of these things have positive attributes as well.

Tesco can give you offers that you might want and can also stock what you want to buy.

The banks recognise your normal spending and contact you when they think it's different. Also if you are spending recklessly they can rein you in.

Perhaps the most useful is the mobile facility which means if you're suffering rom hypothermia up a mountain with dead battery they can still find you. If someone you love has been abducted and is being abused they can be found. All good things.

I think ... maybe...???!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 21:34:26 »
All of these things have positive attributes as well.

Tesco can give you offers that you might want and can also stock what you want to buy.

The banks recognise your normal spending and contact you when they think it's different. Also if you are spending recklessly they can rein you in.

Perhaps the most useful is the mobile facility which means if you're suffering rom hypothermia up a mountain with dead battery they can still find you. If someone you love has been abducted and is being abused they can be found. All good things.

I think ... maybe...???!

Cor! wish I shopped in Tesco, wish I had some money to be reckless with, Next time I'm up a mountain  in the middle of winter I will wish I had taken the phone.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 21:47:51 »
Paranoid much?

I dont care that Tesco has my shopping details, I was perfectly happy with their service and food quality. I used to use their delivery service just after I had my first son. Gasp...oh no...they know my address... ::)

As for CCTV, I hope we get more, then maybe the vandals that caused £3000 of damage to my mother's house might have been caught.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 21:56:03 »

Erm, no. Sorry.

As for CCTV, I hope we get more, then maybe the vandals that caused £3000 of damage to my mother's house might have been caught.

Fine, buy your own and put it outside your mother's house. The rest of us have plenty already, thanks.

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 22:08:13 »

Fine, buy your own and put it outside your mother's house. The rest of us have plenty already, thanks.

No thanks, ill never go near there again, that property and those vandals caused me 6 months of misery and stress.

Oh, sorry I didnt make myself very clear, my mother died in May 2006, leaving me the house.

Picture this, house up for sale, January 7th 2007, my son's 3rd birthday, im 3 months pregnant and my husbands in the navy (but home then), police call me out to the house at 7pm at night (I dont drive), because of a break in. They break 3 windows, vandalise the van in the driveway and break the garage door and window.

We get the windows replaced the next day and within the week theyre broken again, we get it mostly boarded up.

My husband goes back to sea.

I get called out to the house a further 8 times until the house is sold.

We had squatters, later arrested for drug possesion by the police.

Back door kicked in, front door kicked in, copper pipes stolen fron the attic, small side windows broken, boarding removed, mother's van stolen off the drive INFRONT of the estate agents who were showing the house, they phoned me to say the guys had collected it...erm what guys??

Strangely im all for CCTV and I hope those thieves and vandals rot in hell.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 22:32:34 by Mortality »
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 22:52:21 »
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr b....................sts
nasty people >:( >:( >:(
sanity is overated

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 22:56:29 »
Supermarkets keeping tabs on all aspects of their customers lives is old news wether it's with loyalty cards or RFID tags its well known that they have been doing it for years.

http://www.newstatesman.com/life-and-society/2007/06/tesco-supermarket-mother-data
http://www.boycotttesco.com/

Geoff H

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 23:33:48 »
And what about the internet, they know where you have been. Even ordinary mortals like me can find where people have been. I have a couple of web sites and on one I set up some stuff for the school kids I teach. One day i put up some stuff for an A level group, that included information and references for them to read up. I gave them instructions and they all knew my web address.
The firm that hosts my web sites has features that allow the site owner to monitor traffic to the site.
Two days later I asked the 6th form group whether they had done as instructed and they all stated that they had done. so.
"Lying toe rags" I replied " Lorna visted my web site twice, once at 6 o'clock and once at 7.10, but no one else did"
They still don't know how I was able to find out all that. ;D
When my wife has looked over my shoulder and it shows the ID numbers etc she thinks its really creepy. If I can do this what can the professionals do? Mind you I don't get paranoid about it. Unless you plan being a terrorist or something the authorities are hardly interested in ordinary people's boring lives.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 00:05:40 »

Erm, no. Sorry.

Actually yes.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 08:27:13 »

No thanks, ill never go near there again, that property and those vandals caused me 6 months of misery and stress.

Oh, sorry I didnt make myself very clear, my mother died in May 2006, leaving me the house.

Picture this, house up for sale, January 7th 2007, my son's 3rd birthday, im 3 months pregnant and my husbands in the navy (but home then), police call me out to the house at 7pm at night (I dont drive), because of a break in. They break 3 windows, vandalise the van in the driveway and break the garage door and window.

We get the windows replaced the next day and within the week theyre broken again, we get it mostly boarded up.

My husband goes back to sea.

I get called out to the house a further 8 times until the house is sold.

We had squatters, later arrested for drug possesion by the police.

Back door kicked in, front door kicked in, copper pipes stolen fron the attic, small side windows broken, boarding removed, mother's van stolen off the drive INFRONT of the estate agents who were showing the house, they phoned me to say the guys had collected it...erm what guys??

Strangely im all for CCTV and I hope those thieves and vandals rot in hell.

I see your point, but where the hell do you live?

For me, though, this should be the job of the police, not some minimum wage council employee sat in a room full of monitors.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:48:08 »
Your car journeys are being monitored by the government and stored for 2 years.
Ever wondered why the 'average speed' cameras aren't removed when the roadworks have finished???

I know for sure it's the yellow ones, but I think it's the blue ones too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:49:57 by dtw »

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 10:27:34 »

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 10:46:04 »
http://www.dailytech.com/Kidnapped+Girl+Found+Thanks+to+Mobile+Phone+Signal+Google+Street+View+/article13900.htm

Kidnapped girl found via mobile.

http://www.aviva.co.uk/media-centre/story/3396/rac-promotes-mobile-tracking-with-vinnie/

RAC using to find broken down cars accurately and considering the weather we have been having lately, Id rather that than someone freezing to death in their car.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/The-Missing-Around-150000-Children-Go-Missing-Every-Year-Says-Charity-Missing-People/Article/200812215177470?f=rss

If CCTV helps to find even one of those children, then in my opinion its invaluable.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:52:24 by Mortality »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 10:52:20 »
http://www.dailytech.com/Kidnapped+Girl+Found+Thanks+to+Mobile+Phone+Signal+Google+Street+View+/article13900.htm

Kidnapped girl found via mobile.

http://www.aviva.co.uk/media-centre/story/3396/rac-promotes-mobile-tracking-with-vinnie/

RAC using to find broken down cars accurately and considering the weather we have been having lately, Id rather that than someone freezing to death in their car.

AT&T was able to provide Officer Neale with GPS coordinates each time the phone was activated.

We ask permission from the driver to be able to use their mobile signal

In both these cases the mobile has to be on and in range of several mobile base stations...

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:47 »
Ooh, watched a film about this last night - Eagle Eye - hubby rented it and I thougt what a yawn but wowee it was fantastic!!!

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 11:09:43 »
I know how the mobile tracking system works (by triangulation). I'd like to know how it could work with a dead battery, that's all.

Mortality, if you take your argument to it's logical conclusion, there'd be a camera on literally every street corner. You'd be OK with that?

Mortality

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 11:18:17 »
I know how the mobile tracking system works (by triangulation). I'd like to know how it could work with a dead battery, that's all.

Mortality, if you take your argument to it's logical conclusion, there'd be a camera on literally every street corner. You'd be OK with that?

Yes I would be.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal