Author Topic: Pansies (and an apology to Flighty)  (Read 6501 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Pansies (and an apology to Flighty)
« on: July 01, 2009, 21:46:09 »
I bought a tray of lovely simple yellow Pansies last year which have flowered their socks off pretty much ever since.  I let a few go to seed and have sown a few batches for the autumn.  Two of the earlier sowings are now in flower but not exactly 'simple yellow' flowers now.  As it happens I love them.   ;D  But I sent some to Flighty assuming they would be yellow so sorry mate, no idea how this happened: I don't grow any other Pansies and nor to my neighbours!    ::)

G x

'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Pansies (and an apology to Flighty)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 21:49:12 »
Wow, they are gorgeous!
Jackie

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 21:50:47 »
Wow, they are gorgeous!

Awww thanks. PM me if you want some seeds.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 21:53:23 »
There's certainly no need to apologise!
If mine flower like this I'll be delighted, and if not I'll still be happy whatever they look like.  xx
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 21:57:03 »
Wow, they are gorgeous!

G x

pm ing you, I have some nice poppy seed
Jackie

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 22:03:13 »
There's certainly no need to apologise!
If mine flower like this I'll be delighted, and if not I'll still be happy whatever they look like.  xx

Phew!   ;D

G x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 22:59:35 »
Was the original variety an F1?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 23:04:37 by Robert_Brenchley »

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 21:34:01 »
Wow, they are gorgeous!

G x

pm ing you, I have some nice poppy seed

Hector I haven't received a PM.   ???

G x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 21:35:11 »
Was the original variety an F1?

Must have been, Robert, I reckon, although it wasn't labelled as such.

G x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 21:39:03 »
If it was, it obviously won't breed true, but as you've found, the seedlings are often worth having! You can select for whatever characteristics you like most, and develop your own variety from them.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 21:52:59 »
If it was, it obviously won't breed true, but as you've found, the seedlings are often worth having! You can select for whatever characteristics you like most, and develop your own variety from them.

I'm not sure I'm at the stage where I can do that - sounds rather advanced and complicated to me.  Or are Pansies easier than other plants I've read about?

G x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 14:26:04 »
Save seed off your favourites. Next year, you'll have more plants looking rougly the way you want. Save seed of the best, and continue year by year. It's really simple.

I may try a breeding project just to show people how simple it is. If gardeners just did what I've suggested, we could see off this F1 nonsense easily between us.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 14:27:38 by Robert_Brenchley »

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 20:13:33 »
Georgie

they are so beautiful! Well done, i'm going to get some Winter pansies but not sure what variety i should get or when i should start the seeds off, any advise welcome!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 21:05:26 »
Save seed off your favourites. Next year, you'll have more plants looking rougly the way you want. Save seed of the best, and continue year by year. It's really simple.

I may try a breeding project just to show people how simple it is. If gardeners just did what I've suggested, we could see off this F1 nonsense easily between us.

Okay, if it's not rocket science I'll give it a go.  Thanks for your advice.   ;D

G x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 21:14:56 »
Georgie

they are so beautiful! Well done, i'm going to get some Winter pansies but not sure what variety i should get or when i should start the seeds off, any advise welcome!

I should think there are plenty of Pansy seeds around if you look online or in garden centres.  I think they pretty much all require the same growing conditions so it's just a matter of taste about which one you choose.  Now is a good time to sow.  :)

G x

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 12:49:11 »
Thank Georgie! Off to go shopping now!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 17:05:14 »

Hope you find something nice.   :)

Sorry I couldn't offer you any seeds but I only had a few left and I'd already promised them to Hector. 

G x

jordsbabe

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 17:29:59 »

Sorry I couldn't offer you any seeds but I only had a few left and I'd already promised them to Hector. 

G x

Thanks Georgie i certainly didn't expect you to offer!! I have ordered some now from Suttons When i rang them up they said i'm not to late to start the seedlings off now in my greenhouse!  Ben is loving the Garden, i have turned my raised bed into veg and pots of flowers, and then up at the top of the garden where i had a big tree (so couldn't really have a plot because of the roots, i have dug a small 6' x 4 plot where i am growing carrots beetroot, raddish, lettuce and spring onions! My Tomatoe plants are doing alot better this year too! You have one happy newbie gardener and one 'little' happy newbie gardener!!!!!!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 19:40:38 »
Glad this info has been posted.  I will get a packet of seeds and go for it.  Not F1 then. I think I saw some seeds in the £1 shop.  There are also seeds in Sainsberrys.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 21:31:57 »

G x

Thanks Georgie i certainly didn't expect you to offer!! I have ordered some now from Suttons When i rang them up they said i'm not to late to start the seedlings off now in my greenhouse!  Ben is loving the Garden, i have turned my raised bed into veg and pots of flowers, and then up at the top of the garden where i had a big tree (so couldn't really have a plot because of the roots, i have dug a small 6' x 4 plot where i am growing carrots beetroot, raddish, lettuce and spring onions! My Tomatoe plants are doing alot better this year too! You have one happy newbie gardener and one 'little' happy newbie gardener!!!!!!

LOL, I know you weren't fishing for some freebies but I like to help where I can.  I'm so glad you and Ben are enjoying your gardening.  Can't beat it can you?   :)

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal