Author Topic: Allotments COURT hearing  (Read 3520 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Allotments COURT hearing
« on: December 19, 2007, 14:09:32 »
Our council gave notice on a plot holder who has 3 plots (for different reasons though). He has got a solicitor involved so the council has had to do the same and is now pending a court case as he refuses to go. The council hasn't taken any rent for 3 years as they want him off and they couldn't do it if he has any contract left. Will be interesting.
He refused to control his livestock and was letting them out strip other peoples crops. He has not used the plots for cultivation. He refused to leave when asked previously.

This court case was heard on Friday. He lost and now has 56 days to clear his plot of personal  belongings and livestock. (Pigeons). He was given such a long time to clear out possibly due to the festive season and having to rehouse his pigeons and rabbits. After this time the RSPCA will enter the allotments to remove the livestock so the plots can be re-allocated. Well we do have quite a waiting list. I don't see why he didn't cultivate even half of his plot that housed his pigeons and handed back the other two. Then this whole waste of taxpayers money could of been better spent......
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

VP

• Quarter Acre
  • Get me out of here!
    • Vegplotting
Re: Allotments COURT hearing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 14:40:20 »
We're not allowed to have livestock as part of our contract. Any idea how many do allow it?
Best wishes,

VP
---------------------------------------------
http://vegplotting.blogspot.com

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 14:53:09 »
We're allowed, but then we're a Poor's Field, set up under an Enclosure Act of 1810.
There are two small-holdings with horses (one used to have pigs); we've also got bees & chickens. But there are rules about making sure they don't roam (even dogs have to be tethered!) and the animals are registered with DEFRA (& the local bee association).

I don't think many council sites allow animals, at least from conversations I've had with folk on other sites.

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 14:56:38 »
we're allowed chickens for eggs.
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 18:25:05 »
Were not allowed any.  :(   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 19:40:16 »
We have a percentage that are allowed livestock. I believe its about 20%, but not certain of that figure.

I am just pleased with the verdict. It will make others think twice about letting their plot become a jungle. Probably gave some a gentle nudge in the right direction too. That little bit of extra  motivation... where applicable ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 21:15:18 »
Well so far at our sites folks have hens, horses, geese and have had rabbits in the past.

One guy asked if he could have a goat but I won't be having a meeting until January so not sure what the answer to that would be.  Can't see any reason why not, but then I don't know much about keeping goats so couldn't say for certain.
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 22:43:41 »
We're officially allowed hens and rabbits.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 18:46:10 »
There are over 200 plots on my site,only 4 of them have Pigeons lofts on  , and because the secretary does not like them he will not allow any more on which i think is a shame. As long as the plot holder keeps it tidy and is not interfering with other plot holders i think you should be allowed to keep livestock. I have a loft next to me for 5 years, i have had no problems,they don't eat my (why eat manky cabbage when you get fed best corn.)crops, and you are more likely to get Rats if you have a compost bin than a loft. Allotments are for pleasure and as long as it is a  harmless pleasure i say why not. :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 19:18:08 »
Exactly. Rules get far too restrictive, then people get away with murder anyway. The worst thing is when you get an attitude that the rules are for other people not committee members. A sensible rule for livestock would be something along the lines of 'Small livestock are permitted provided they do not become a nuisance'. Then you've got flexibility, and the nuisance clause acts as a backstop.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 19:19:47 by Robert_Brenchley »

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 19:44:07 »
were not allowed live stock

Not keep animals (which include bees and chickens) on the allotment plot without the prior and written consent of the Council;

We have verbaly been told permission would not be given, as i enquired about having bees temp homed there on behald of a local bee keeper.

powerspade

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 21:11:59 »
I have a pigeon loft next door to me and I can tell you tthe whole place is riddled with rats, we killed over 200 this past year

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 05:48:55 »
I have a pigeon loft next door to me and I can tell you tthe whole place is riddled with rats, we killed over 200 this past year
That is down to bad husbandry.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 08:35:41 »
Or other causes. Our site is riddled with rats as well, and I can't believe it's down to a dozen hens and four beehives on 14 acres.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal