Author Topic: Allotment DVD?  (Read 9940 times)

David R

• Acre
Re: Allotment DVD?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 14:28:51 »
watched the 1st disc. I have decided that the presenter fellow is mad as a goat. Why grow stuff in containers on an allotment??? even if you do get them free from the chip shop or whatever. And he does'nt like beetroot, mad I say.

The music is quite astonishingly horrendous  ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 16:12:50 »
i must say i have to agree with you there ::)-its hypnotic in its awfulness!.......it lulls you into a stupor!
but-even with that,i like it a lot and watch it to relax-theres nothing like looking at other peoples lotties to spark off ideas... ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 23:35:41 »
Why not grow stuff in containers on an allotment?  Seems perfectly normal to me!
I came, I saw, I composted

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 01:27:33 »
Why not grow stuff in containers on an allotment? Seems perfectly normal to me!

Me too, im growing salad leaves and rocket sown in a deep tub, have to say there coming on nicely. Makes sense to grow stuff in portable containers and not use up your established beds, especially if your plot is not very big.

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2005, 07:28:00 »
David r I think you have missed the point with the presenter growing in tubs and things.  ::)
The plot he had was over grown never been tended for a while and was taken over late in the season   ;D
Apart from that i dont find growing things in containers on an allotment weird.
Wardys idea of the rubble sacks is a brilliant idea I have three of them with Marrows and cougettes in them.
When needs must, use what ever there is around.

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2005, 12:47:41 »
here here ron owt for nowt give me a shout if it is free give it two me 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 17:22:12 »
seconded sluggy! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

David R

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2005, 10:50:58 »
ok, well and truly told off. 

My point is that tubs and pots need more care so if you not fortunate to make it to the lotty as often as one would wish, the pots will not look after themselves as well as the ground based plants. For obvious reasons the plants cannot source the water and nutrients and rely far more on the care afforded them. Fair enough if you have run out of space but the allotment is a piece of ground, and it seems odd that if you have ground, why use pots.

Dont get me wrong, I use pots myself, at home - great toms and figs - but the fella seemed to be wasting uncultivated ground in favour of pots.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2005, 16:47:53 »
naah!we werent 'avin a go david!just personal preferences! ;) :-*
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 17:08:32 »
Hello David  :)   the bloke on the DVD has a bad back and said that he wouldn't be digging or weeding but the challenge would be to see how the plot worked out in the first year.  He reviews his progress and it did very well and he managed to produced lots of food.

I've had a rotten bad back this year and the dvd gave me the inspiration to have a go.  I have managed to grow radishes and all sorts of lettuce in boxes and my spuds in fertilizer bags have plenty of foliage on them.  I have covered some of the plot with cardboard and black plastic and I pulled it back the other day and it's done a really good job in clearing the weeds for me.  There were a couple of wilting dandelions so I think I'll be able to plant in it by the end of the month.  I'm not digging it just planting into the compacted soil with a bulb planter (also shown on the DVD)  I have planted my broad beans and peas the same way.  My back is somewhat better but I still don't feel like digging so I might have to plant up in growbags and such

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 19:16:15 »
i think you're wise not to dig wardy-backs are delicate things once they've been injured-and if you can get the same results with the 'no-dig 'method then go for it!
i think theres a book i've seen somewhere about no-dig-you could look into permaculture too!
kitty :)
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2005, 20:09:40 »
Ta very much - I'll look out for it.  My back is awful again today and back on pain killers again.  Too much gyratin at the Rod concert on Sunday night on top of two days standing outside flogging plants over the weekend.  Paying guests in over the weekend and Monday and Today so am feeling somewhat tatered  ;D

David R

• Acre
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2005, 20:35:04 »
must check out the two remaining dvd's to see how he got on............still reckon he's mad though!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D :P

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2005, 20:42:52 »
But that's part of the attraction David, he's like a demented gnome.  Makes good watching though, even if parts of it drive you mad and there are some helpful tips.

MM

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2005, 22:25:18 »
I like it.  The guy is a man after my own heart - no digging and no weeding  ;D  Plus he doesn't care about his detractors.  He's growing stuff and that's what counts.He seems to be enjoying it was well  :)

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 08:25:10 »
So it seems I need to buy and watch this DVD not only for the useful, insightful help it will give me, but also to see a real life nutter being allowed infront of a camera!! Cant wait lol

So where can I get a copy of the DVD?

Cheddar, Somerset

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 13:41:43 »
You can get it, that's if you really, really want it, from www.allotment.info/links.htm  ;D

The presenters aren't nutters - they're normal like us  ;D  They are knowledgeable plotties though and know their onions.  I like watching it very much - it's gentle and relaxed just like meself  :)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 15:20:25 »
they ARE just like us-nutters an'all!

i think its great-even the irritating music is growing on me...like a fungus! ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Lily

• Acre
  • When the going gets tough, hide in the allotment.
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 19:00:51 »
You have to feel sorry for the chap when he goes on holiday and looses all his Butternut Squashes because of none watering.  It's a good DVD which I have lent to my fellow lottie partner.
' A problem shared is a problem halved'

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 19:27:01 »
The Governor has put the DVD on my birthday present list...in November  :( ...so I guess I will have someting to watch during the winter months  ;D

When you read all the posts about the various pests, vandals, bad seasons, bad weather, frosts...and there we are, all still there, gardening away...wouldn't you say that the madness is infectious  ;)  ;D

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal