Author Topic: woohoo!  (Read 2338 times)

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
woohoo!
« on: May 11, 2005, 15:49:10 »
This might sound daft, but I have literally just finished writing a 26000 word dissertation that I've been doing for the last 18 months and the relief is unbelieeeeeevable! Going to get dressed (still in jama's!) and go to B&Q and local garden centre as a special treat!
Methinks some rockery stones for the back garden and maybe even a new watering can is in order as a really special treat!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: woohoo!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 16:06:15 »
You must be soooooo pleased, well done.  Go out and enjoy yourself now, have a big celebration!  You have worked so hard the feeling of relief that you have finished must be wonderful.  Congratulations! ;D

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 16:18:16 »
Cheers Tulippa. It means I can spend more time at the allotment now  ;D ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 16:31:18 »
Well done! Reward yourself with a spendathon at the garden centre  ;D
I dread to think how much effort must have gone in to 26000 words  :-X
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

maz

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 16:54:37 »
Well done caz.  ;D    * maz applaudes*
What are you studying?
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 17:54:48 »
Congratualtions Caz ;D

Why dont you throw in a bottle of wine for  good measure  ;) :P

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 18:11:01 »
Thanks! Only managed to spend £15 in B&Q on some new pea seeds (not had much luck with ones already put in), watering can rose, some rockery plants and a new pot for my miniature weeping willow - very disappointing! Must spend more! I could wander round garden centres all day - in fact I think I will tomorrow!

Maz - it's a master's degree in Quality Management and it has been v hard work. I found it really hard getting back in to the disciplines of studying after leaving school over 20 years ago.  Got to wait for the results now :-\

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 18:17:53 »
26000 word dissertation

Dissertation???

That's a book.

Well done 8)
Good gardening!

John

katy260580

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 17:29:28 »
Hi,
Congratulations on completing your allotment dissertation. I work in allotments, managing some sites and am about to start a dissertation in allotments over the next two years. Can you or anyone give me some hints as to which tack to take with them to give me a kick start? It's such a broad subject and I can't tie myself down to any particular subject!
Katy

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 23:56:11 »
Congrats and cheers all round!  And loads of luck.  ;D

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 17:05:27 »
Thanks for the congrats  ;D 

Katy- my advice would be to have a brainstorm session and write down every aspect of allotmenting and then try to devise some structure. Maybe consider who it appeals to and why, age groups, social groups, ethnic gropups etc. Look at the who where why and how aspects. Usually the type of degree course dictates (to an extent) what angle you should be approaching it from. You could consider business and legal aspects. Maybe use Fat Larry's situation of his allotment being under threat as a case study even?

I didn't do a previous degree so I may not be the best person to talk to about it - surely there must be some people from the world of academia on this site???

Will gladly help if I can - PM me if you'd rather.  :)
Is it BA or MA or a science you're doing?

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 18:57:13 »
Can you or anyone give me some hints as to which tack to take.

Environmental friendliness is topical.

Is Bob Flowerdew really green,  or just a hoarder?

Maximal productivity?
Good gardening!

John

katy260580

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 10:26:48 »
Thanks Caz,

I'm starting a 2 year top-up BA in September after having just completed a Foundation Degree in Landscape Management. I may be jumping the gun a bit by thinking about the dissertation now, but I can start building up a diary at work etc this year on the allotments I manage.

Allotments was my choice and from what my tutor has said, any angle can be taken (not much help really).  Even Landscape Management is broad in what it covers, so narrowing that down to allotments can include anything from sustainability to legality; the actual management across the country, either Association or Local Government etc.

I think it's just the sound of writing between 8 to 12 thousand words is a bit scary!!

Katy

caz 406

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 21:30:53 »
Hi Katy,

It's good to start thinking about your dissertation early on, but be prepared to change the focus of it as you progress through the course. I had one particular idea in mind at the beginning but then did a module on Corporate Governance and found a certain aspect that I had never considered before which really interested me and I ended up using that for my dissertation.
The 8-12000 words will seem less scary once you start handing in assignments, in fact you'll probably find it hard to keep it down to that amount.  ;D Someone told me that and I didn't believe them until I found I was well over the required word count and had to start weeding stuff out. (pardon the gardening pun ;D)
I'm sure there would be willing volunteers on here for case studies or surveys as part of your Research Methodology. Good luck with it and let us know how you're getting on.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal